83 kz750l3 fitting a zx6r swingarm! HELP

More
25 Nov 2005 15:25 #10215 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 83 kz750l3 fitting a zx6r swingarm! HELP
In my case, I just drilled out the holes to 17mm (was 15mm) and used the larger pivot bolt.
If you have a new sprocket and the original sprocket, any competent machine shop should be able to make an offset sprocket out of them, how much offset do you need?
A 750 Turbo frame would make a good starting point, they are stronger than the GPz or KZ 750 frames (larger main tube and gusseted).

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2005 11:08 #10344 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic 83 kz750l3 fitting a zx6r swingarm! HELP
Did you guys notice that those gussets are chrome moly? Not easy to weld to our stock frames! All that carbonizing and such you have to worry about!

I would ditch the mono-shock idea if it were me personally, and have some shock mounts welded to the swing arm.

Couple reasons for that idea:

1) Have to move electrics, causing alot more fabrication work for you

2) Very hard to get right- you just about have to have a degree in engineering to really get it to work at the same performance level as the bike it came out of. I have talked to pro frame builders that talk about what a Pain in the grinder this part is! Getting the shock at the correct angle for the frame, the right dog bone etc.

You get more performance out of the bike- and for aesthetics- I would mount some modern gas adjust shocks to it, going with the street fighter look and all!

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
26 Nov 2005 11:20 #10346 by twowheeledterror
Replied by twowheeledterror on topic 83 kz750l3 fitting a zx6r swingarm! HELP
CruisingRam wrote:

Did you guys notice that those gussets are chrome moly? Not easy to weld to our stock frames! All that carbonizing and such you have to worry about!

I would ditch the mono-shock idea if it were me personally, and have some shock mounts welded to the swing arm.

Couple reasons for that idea:

1) Have to move electrics, causing alot more fabrication work for you

2) Very hard to get right- you just about have to have a degree in engineering to really get it to work at the same performance level as the bike it came out of. I have talked to pro frame builders that talk about what a Pain in the grinder this part is! Getting the shock at the correct angle for the frame, the right dog bone etc.

You get more performance out of the bike- and for aesthetics- I would mount some modern gas adjust shocks to it, going with the street fighter look and all!

1) For starters, chances are you will be relocating your electronics or deleting a lot of them if you are taking the time to build up a bike that needs gussets.

2) Why spend money on a gusset kit? Why not just make your own?

3) The idea that you need a degree to mount a mono shock is absurd. The reason that frame builders tell you this is so that you will be intimidated and bring the product to them and pay them to do the work. (Ask me how I know this.)

4) The geometry involved in doing this is VERY BASIC. As for dog bones, thats simple too. Mount your upper shock to the frame... mount your lower shock to the pivot, and measure. Simple as that. I've got CAD plans that I need to take into the shop and CNC out a set that are three way adjustable. Wasn't hard, just takes basic math.

5) You will not get the same or better performance out of running side mount shocks as you will a mono. There's a reason that race bikes doing over 200mph have mono shocks. It's called technology, and it progresses.

6) Streetfighters almost NEVER have dual side mounts. Harris, Spondon, Etc.... all of them are single sided mono swing framesets. You can argue all you want about this, but you'll still be wrong. It's been a fact for awhile now, the "coolest" affordable mod you can do to any fighter is drop a honda single sided arm on it. Want cooler? Go Duc or Triumph. Cooler yet? Spondon.

7) If you're afraid of doing work you shouldn't be building bikes anyhow....

Post edited by: twowheeledterror, at: 2005/11/26 14:24

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
26 Nov 2005 11:29 #10348 by twowheeledterror
Okay, I'm gonna just say this cause a lot of people should know it I think.

Modifying bikes doesn't take a brain surgeon.

Welds on average hold 65K pounds of pull. That means it takes 65K pounds of oppositional force to pull an average weld apart. If you can make even a DECENT weld, you'll be fine.

Geometry? Not nearly as involved as people think. If you are bad at geometry, then yes, it will hold you back a bit.

Really, building bikes is a very eletist market. The builders all want you to think they are doing something you CAN'T do yourself. But really? You can. ANYONE CAN!

It's like tattoo artists. People imagine that they wouldn't ever be able to do that. Well, can you color in a coloring book? Yes? Then you could tattoo. Once you know the basics it's IDENTICAL. You fill in between the lines.

As someone who works on bikes as far as fabrication goes, machining, welding, etc. I am available if anyone wants pointers or recommendations... or if anyone wants to run an idea past someone who also does this for some criticism. But please, remember, good criticism isn't sugar coated. I ask my friends about ideas I Have and I've often heard "That idea is absolute shit, and I'd think you were an idiot for doing that." Know what I think when I hear that? "Maybe I should rethink this."

If you want to progress your projects criticism helps... but you'll never get anywhere if you can't handle it like an adult.

But yeah, I think everyone can do this stuff. It's just getting up the gumption to give it a try! :D

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
26 Nov 2005 11:44 #10355 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic 83 kz750l3 fitting a zx6r swingarm! HELP
I wasn't recommending that anyone actually buy a gusset kit, it's just a bunch of pieces of tubing that've been notched and a few pieces of flat stock that've been cut into rhombuses. I was just trying to give an idea as to what they look like and where they go.

I'll eventually take my bike apart again and do some of these mods. Right now all the work I do is outdoors in the dirt, and I'm pretty limited for machine tools and funding...

BTW Code2, check this out: kz.mbsween.com/

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
26 Nov 2005 11:51 #10356 by twowheeledterror
guitargeek wrote:

I wasn't recommending that anyone actually buy a gusset kit, it's just a bunch of pieces of tubing that've been notched and a few pieces of flat stock that've been cut into rhombuses. I was just trying to give an idea as to what they look like and where they go.

I'll eventually take my bike apart again and do some of these mods. Right now all the work I do is outdoors in the dirt, and I'm pretty limited for machine tools and funding...

BTW Code2, check this out: kz.mbsween.com/

I know you weren't recommending buying it. You're a DIY guy and would make one. Thats a known fact! :thumbup:

More
26 Nov 2005 17:23 #10402 by ten6
Replied by ten6 on topic 83 kz750l3 fitting a zx6r swingarm! HELP
So...who can tell me the simplest swingarm conversion for a 1977 KZ650? Referring mainly to swingarm pivot diameter and width?? It could be a mono or dual shock setup...sorry to hijack if I did...

Michigan City, Indiana
Firefighter MCFD IAFF Local #475
(3) KZ650s (1) 1996 Vulcan 1500A (1) 1978 KZ1000 (1) 1986 Yamaha Radian 600
2000 Dodge Ram 4x4
1960 Chevy Bel-Air

More
26 Nov 2005 18:11 #10410 by CruisingRam
I took his question as to meaning he is a newbie to this kind of fabrication at the very least- and jumping into a monoshock conversion and relocating electronics is a big first step!

I agree that bike building is a long way from rocket science, and so much easier than building race cars it is not even funny- it is like if you built fine custom homes for a living and then went to assembling lincoln logs- seriously. Cost too- far cheaper on a bike than on a car.

That being said- if this is a first bike project- I still recomend keeping each mod a one step deal instead of complete frame off and tear down for several mods at once.

If he has done a couple other bikes, and is just wanting to know what swing arm bolt swing arm is closest to his so he can get started with a frame off- fine- but if this is his first "hot rod" bike- much, much easier to take the swing arm to the machine shop, have them weld on a pair of shock mounts, machine the swing arm to bolt on to the project bike, and start trying to get brakes and rims to work. That part alone can be a real headache for sure!

I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
26 Nov 2005 20:31 #10423 by Code2
Replied by Code2 on topic 83 kz750l3 fitting a zx6r swingarm! HELP
My dad owns a motorcycle shop, so iv been around then customizing bikes for a while now,... haha, i appreciate all the great info... and the picture of the gusseting is really helpfull to me... i can easly duplicate thouse parts, im willing to go 100% into this bike, i dont really care how hard its going to be i just wanted to see whats the road like ahead.
and get some additional info before i start striping her.
thanks alot!.
Code

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
27 Nov 2005 00:34 #10444 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic 83 kz750l3 fitting a zx6r swingarm! HELP
And just think, your engine already has the GPz cams and oil cooler. The '83 KZ750-L3 was pretty much an '82 KZ750-R1 without the fairing, and it's about what I'm going for with my bike. You shouldn't have to do anything to the motor unless you want to put in a Wiseco 810 kit, maybe port the head. Get a nice pipe, ditch the airbox for some pods, rejet and you're good.

Try this thread: kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...atid,5/id,5619/#5619

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
27 Nov 2005 06:37 #10465 by mbsween
Replied by mbsween on topic 83 kz750l3 fitting a zx6r swingarm! HELP
AHHHHH save the L3, crap there's only a handful or so left anyways. Get yourself a CBR/ZX/GSXR/YZF and mod the heck out of that, lots cheaper, easier to mod and so forth and so on.

I've ridden what I affectionately call a "frakenbike" a bunch, it was an 82 honda 900F modded with a mono shock rear from a CBR and a Modern Front end from a different donor. it also has a hydraulic clutch grafted on as well as major league rear sets (think raised passenger pegs as the location).It also has a bunch of engine mods. It rode well , once I figured out where the controls were. It even handled very well. I got a chance to ride it up by Alice's restuarant. That area has some nice twisty roads. This bike in particular was built by the guys at the ricepaddy. They know their way around older japanese hardware. So its certainly a "do- able" project

Just my 0.02. I still have my L3 with about 100,000 miles on it. I have an 810 kit (just in) progressive suspension front and rear, Dyna coils, 530 chain, and some other assorted stuff. Most of the upgrades happened as the original stuff wore out

But given that you've got some neat ideas, I'd love to see the pics. check out kz.mbsween.com for lots of L3 info and an 83 GPz thats been heavily modsend some pics of the project

You might want to consider using an 83 - 85 frame. You're motor will fit, bodywork and electronics are all different (re more modern, fuses at least), but you'd be starting with a monoshock rear end

More
27 Nov 2005 07:57 #10475 by CruisingRam
I have to say this though- I was planning on leaving my Z-1 as close to stock as possible- but those brakes and ancient suspension just didn't do it for me- I at least had to upgrade tires and suspension!

So I understand at least the upgrade part of not completely staying 100% original on these bikes!

I hate electrical stuff.