Chain lubrication continued

More
28 Nov 2006 20:22 #95847 by kzwolfsr
Chain lubrication continued was created by kzwolfsr
Currently I am still using automatic transmission fluid as my chain lube and well there aren't any consequences from it. First of all it keeps the chain very clean, it doesnt collects dirt like all oils seem to so and it also keeps the sprockets very clean. ATF is also a good degreaser so look out for that but it can be used to clean up sticky oil stains and it seems to sink into the gunk on the chain guard and loosen it up. I tool off the cover to see my front sprocket and that guard piece that collects the dirt and oil was clear and the sprocket was clean. I will take pics to prove to you guys!!!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2006 20:41 #96137 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic Chain lubrication continued
Very interesting that it keeps things clean. I wonder more about the lubricating properties, since I know zero about ATF. Which type do you use?

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
29 Nov 2006 21:13 #96151 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Chain lubrication continued
From my experience with chain lubes in the mid 70's and early 80's. Dad would bake the chains in oil in the oven, when Mom went out shopping for the day. OK who hasn't used some kitchen item when the "other half" was away? If you said you didn't then you're a liar!!!

Anyways. There are new advanced produsts out there that are better for your chain, than engine oil. Products that don't "fling" and can repel dirt and grime, along with lubricating newer o-ring chains are out there. I use Maxima Chain Wax on both my dirtbike and streetbike.

Post edited by: CoreyClough, at: 2006/11/30 00:15

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
30 Nov 2006 06:16 #96199 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Chain lubrication continued
I use dexron 3. It doesnt feel as oily as oil but it has good lube qualities. just look at transmissions in cars and trucks, it works just fine for them. I just have to lube every week even though the fluid is still on the chain, so i am just keeping up appearances.

1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

More
30 Nov 2006 06:16 #96200 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic Chain lubrication continued
Ditto what Corey said.
That stuff is the best.

More
30 Nov 2006 07:40 #96231 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Chain lubrication continued
Don't know about chain wax or atf as I've never tried them. I'll stay with my BG white lightning chain lube. 58,000 miles on the original chain and counting. Anybody beat that with chainwax? I'll put my doubts in.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
30 Nov 2006 08:51 #96240 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Chain lubrication continued
I've been using good ol' 90 weight, and yeah, its a freakin mess.
I've give that ATF a try. But when I put a new chain on, I'll probably go with wax. I've been using chain wax on my ten speed, and it stays clean.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2006 09:20 #96247 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Chain lubrication continued
riverroad wrote:

I've been using good ol' 90 weight, and yeah, its a freakin mess.
I've give that ATF a try. But when I put a new chain on, I'll probably go with wax. I've been using chain wax on my ten speed, and it stays clean.

The ATF idea is interesting. No expert on the stuff, but it's gotta have some lube effect - and at higher temps as well - otherwise those Winnebago Cheezeboxes (tm) would be spitting torque converters and tranny valves all over the streets. :laugh:

Gone the wax route as well, and boy that stuff sure sticks. One thing I've wondered about waxes is how well it gets at the pins and bushings, being so *tick 'n zesty*, as Granny called her spagetz sauce. :dry:

O-ring and X-ring chains are purported to isolate the interior pins and bushings from all the nasties it encounters, but I'm a bit skeptical. Every so often, I'll shoot the bloody hell out of a chain with some industrial pin 'n bushing loob, then hit it with a spray coat of white lithium to convince it to stick around awhile. ;)

Not all that certain that a chain really cares that much about what all you use on it as opposed to how *often* you apply it. Waxes, ATF, whatever - if every 1,000 miles whether it needs it or not is your theory of chain maintenence, I doubt anything can save it. :whistle:

Don't have any hard 'n fast mileage stats to toss on the pile - always figured that when a chain was ready for the rest home, it'd be happy to tell you. But treated right, a chain and sprocket set can last a good long while. B)

More
30 Nov 2006 16:25 #96340 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic Chain lubrication continued
I got issue with using ATF as a lube. Car trannies look nice and clean because they are sealed environments. Is ATF not closer to a hydraulic fluid than a lubricating oil?

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2006 16:57 #96350 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Chain lubrication continued
RomSpaceKnight wrote:

I got issue with using ATF as a lube. Car trannies look nice and clean because they are sealed environments.

Which means exactly what? What bearing (limp pun, I know :) ) would that have on its use as a chain lube?

Is ATF not closer to a hydraulic fluid than a lubricating oil?

Certainly. But that doesn't mean it has no potential as a lubricant - in fact, hydraulic oil seems to do a pretty keen job of keeping cylinders lubed and pistons shiny.

I'm not sure of all the ramifications, but I haven't seen anything so far that makes it a bad idea. :huh:

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/11/30 20:43

More
01 Dec 2006 06:58 #96448 by kzwolfsr
Actually, hydraulic fluid has better lubricating qualities than ATF but hydrraulic flic fluid is also just a thinned out oil and still has the potential to collect dirt like any other oil or grease. I use ATF because it doesn't attract dirt and it still has the lubricating qualities of oil, plus it doesn't destroy or have much potential to destroy rubber rings in the chain. I will send a pic of my chain so you guys can see

More
01 Dec 2006 13:01 #96522 by kzwolfsr
Here is my chain with ATF