Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?

More
29 Nov 2006 20:59 #96143 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?
KZ250LTD wrote:

. . . we set the front brake stiffness by turning the little nut that tightens/loosens the threaded rod that the brake line is attached to (mechanical drums, not hydraulic). . . seemed too tight . . . when you spin the front wheel (when its on centerstand, off the ground) it's still rubbing lightly. (no leeway when you grab the brake)

If understood correctly, this refers to a cable actuated drum front brake which has a threaded knurled knob fitting at the brake lever allowing free play adjustment for the cable.

The rubbing is probably from the brake shoe lining being too close to the drum and remaining in partial contact with the drum even when the brakes are at rest (and thus no leeway when you grab the brake).

Would recommend adjusting the cable freeplay (at the knob) allowing enough slack to allow the linings to clear the drum so there is no braking action while the wheel is supposed to be freely spinning. Squeezed hard at full lock, the lever should NOT touch the handlebar grip.

Probably wouldn't hurt to inspect the brake shoe linings and assure their thickness is still within specifications. Also use compressed air to blow out all the accumulated dust inside the drum area (wear goggles and a mask -- this stuff is bad for the lungs).

Brakes are important, and front brakes are especially important. At least you don't face the potential of a hydraulic line rupture -- but the unpleasant surprise of a broken cable is just as bad.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2006 21:15 - 04 Aug 2009 10:59 #96153 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2009 10:59 by KZ250LTD.

More
01 Dec 2006 06:45 #96446 by georgeha
Replied by georgeha on topic Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?
OKC_Kent wrote:

georgeha wrote:

maso,

I know I didn't want to take a chance on the 30 uear old lines on my 400. I bought new fittings and stainless lines from J&P and Dennis Kirk, it only cost me about $50 altogether, and I feel much safer.

George

$50 !! I'm not doubting you but that seems very low, how did you pull it off? I need to check into this, I thought replacing the front lines and fittings would cost much more... for that money I wouldn't hesitate to replace everything.

IIRC, I needed two brake lines, about 16 inches each, they were around $15 each. I think I needed 3-4 fittings (which came with crush washers) at about $5 each. I did have to cut down one of the threaded fittings to make it fit into my caliper, I didn't want to wait to order a new one, so out with the rotary tool.

I just looked, and prices have gone up since 3 years ago, but lines start around $20 at J& P.

Thanks,

George

More
01 Dec 2006 08:12 - 03 Dec 2008 14:01 #96469 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 14:01 by JMKZHI.