Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2006 10:20 #95986 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?
RonKZ650 wrote:

I'll just put it into percentage. Take all 30 yr old motorcycles currently riding the streets and all 30 yr old motorcycles that were involved in an accident. What percentage was caused by brakeline failure? No way to tell, but my guess would be far less than .01% Much more important things to worry about than this.

I'll go for that.

But there's perhaps a more fundamental issue underlying the debate whether a given 30 year old brake line requires replacement...

And that is developing an awareness of the whens, whats, wheres and whys replacing any particular part is a good idea.

I'd agree that there are higher parts on a list of priorities (like worn out pads, pistons and calipers) - given outward indications the lines are still good - but over time, replacing a set of 30 year old lines isn't a bad idea either - and the logic is inarguable.

And developing that awareness is part of becoming an experienced rider. Passing relevant bits of that experience on is part of why we're here.

Even given that there's no particular liability for questionable - or even bad - advice gleaned from a web site - it's always better to err on the side of caution when considering questions of the type.

So yes, the statistical odds are that a set of 30 year old brake lines can become a set of 40 year old brakes lines with no problems whatsoever.

But I'd hate to be the guy that told him it wasn't anything to worry about the day before one pops.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2006 12:06 #96007 by ambergrismooon
Replied by ambergrismooon on topic Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?
Seems silly but there seems to be a disagreement here. Rubber deteriorates against the ravages of time. Is there disagreement in this? 30 years is a long time to keep a rubber item in top condition. There are tires and brake lines that use this compound and if either of those fail your very life may be put in jeopardy. Seems to me your bikes Ron are in showroom condition. I do not know if they have been yours and kept in a climate controlled environment or you have rubbed conditioner into them semi-weekly or what. I do know a lot of people say their scoots have spent years next to tractors in fields or lounging for years out back of a garage. Your bike may be the exception but I would not give advice that 30 year old brake lines or tires are a smart bet. They have been and remain the top things on my list to be as good as I can make them. As for more important things to worry about....how could there be?

• masospaghetti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Nov 2006 14:49 #96033 by masospaghetti
Replied by masospaghetti on topic Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?
seems i've stirred up the hornet's nest!

I looked more closely at my lines and they do look good, and actually only the lowest fitting is rusted (the one going into the caliper) - the others are still nice and shiny. The bike had been in climate controlled storage for 13 years.

But it seems it's probably a good idea to go ahead and replace them. OEM lines cost about $150 total (+ some for the bolts) for all three.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

More
29 Nov 2006 16:34 #96066 by ambergrismooon
Naw this is no hornets nest! Just some little disagreement in philosophy. There have been hornets nests here tho. Real killer bee's stuff. Good luck with the bike and one thing is for sure... EVERYONE here wants you to be safe.

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
29 Nov 2006 17:37 #96080 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?
Well if your going to do that then you might as well rebuild the masters. It doesn't make sense to worry about 22 year old reinforced brake hoses and not the 22 year old seals that produce the pressure that have been sitting in god knows how old of brake fluid with unknown contaminants cutting on them. More master failures than hose failures whether or not you factor out rubbing or binding causes for what accounts for most hose failures.

I guess new front & rear pads wouldn't be a bad idea either as your going the full monty on this project. Stopping is and control is more important than speed or money.

Oh and be sure to check the hypoid level in the final drive.

Post edited by: KZ_Rage, at: 2006/11/29 20:43

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

More
29 Nov 2006 18:46 - 03 Dec 2008 14:02 #96093 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 14:02 by JMKZHI.

• tganek
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2006 19:03 #96100 by tganek
Replied by tganek on topic Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?
JMKZHI wrote:

I've never heard of a single anecdote about old brake lines or old tires failing.

!

Talk to Inline79 about old tires...( sorry Inline!!! ):whistle:

More
29 Nov 2006 19:18 #96104 by ambergrismooon
Absolutely agree with what what KZ Rage says. The brakes are a system and are only as strong as it's weakest link. Did I say that right?

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2006 19:57 #96119 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?
JMKZHI wrote:

I've never heard of a single anecdote about old brake lines or old tires failing...

Sure you did - I related SEEING it happen in person on the previous page of the thread... The line failed right at the crimp fitting where the '90 screwed into the backing plate.

(You were just too busy drooling over that trunk mount!) :lol:

More
29 Nov 2006 20:20 - 04 Aug 2009 10:59 #96130 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2009 10:59 by KZ250LTD.

More
29 Nov 2006 20:28 #96131 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?
Last fall I took a recently purchased non-running 750 twin for a ride after finally getting it to run, and going through three of my stock of used master cylinders to find one that worked. I took it slow down the rural county road that I use for testing, and it seemed pretty sound and safe (nothing fell off anyway), so I turned around and headed back home at a higher speed (around 90 or so). Everything was fine until I hit the brakes to slow down as I was approaching the State Highway that I live on, and discovered that the good master cylinder I had installed was no longer any good. And I had neglected to adjust the rear drum brake up, so it didn't work either :D

By down shifting and doing my best imitation of a flat tracker I managed to make the right turn onto the shoulder (avoiding the car that was cruising down the highway when I got there) and rode the shoulder down to my house and pulled into the driveway.

Master cylinders sure can fail at the worst times :D

Brake lines deteriorate in the inside as well, I have had to replace lines on both cars and bikes because a flap of the liner would not let brake fluid return and release the brakes.

I think I am going to install new or late model master cylinders on my bikes before spring, along with new lines :)

KD9JUR

More
29 Nov 2006 20:30 #96132 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Are 22-year-old brake lines unsafe?
KZ250LTD wrote:

Somewhat off topic, but not newtopic worthy :huh:
How touchy do you guys like your brakes to be? I only ask because I'm a complete newb to bikes. Recently me and my dad (who used to run smaller bikes when he was a kid) replaced the fork seals and after putting the wheel back on we set the front brake stiffness by turning the little nut that tightens/loosens the threaded rod that the brake line is attached to (mechanical drums, not hydraulic). When they were tightened to my dad's satisfaction they seemed too tight to me. Now when you spin the front wheel (when its on centerstand, off the ground) it's still rubbing lightly. I know that with the weight of the bike and speed, etc, the rubbing won't make any difference to the actual ride, I just didn't know if this was too tight, as it seemed to me. (no leeway when you grab the brake)

It won't rub for long, it will wear down rather quickly.
There is something to be said for that method, at least when installing new shoes, it allows the shoes to adapt to the drum a little faster.

KD9JUR