trike again

More
26 Nov 2006 20:20 #95228 by agawam
trike again was created by agawam
well I think its going to happen, I have a swingarm from a honda 250R three wheeler, chain drive and a durablue axle, this will work fine but it comes to the chain and how to adjust it. So now my mind has been clicking away and this is what I have come up with. if I put another sprocket( engine sprocket)midway down the swingarm and use it as an idler with an adjustment up and down to keep the chain tight, like on a car engine with the serpentine belt, it might work fine.The other idea is an adjustable swingarm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2006 21:39 #95263 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic trike again
I dont see why an idler sprocket wouldnt work, you could base it on the roller style cam chain tensioners

Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
26 Nov 2006 21:56 #95266 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic trike again
If you're going to use a "sprocket" midway down the swingarm as an idler of sorts, I'd suggest using one like ref# 12 in the pic 77KZ650 posted.
It's a rubber wheel as opposed to a steel sprocket.

No steel teeth = no accelerated wear to the chain, and it should still function well enough if the chain tension is kept sufficiently adjusted and/or the "idler" itself is self-adjustable.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
26 Nov 2006 21:58 #95267 by Mikes82KZ1100
Replied by Mikes82KZ1100 on topic trike again
I didn't follow the first thread so forgive me if I'm asking something that has already been addressed. How/ what way are you going to adjust/set the trail and how much trail are you thinking about? Have you checked out the Trike forum section at Chopper Web? tinyurl.com/ue4h7 There are some knowledgeable folks there.;)

More
28 Nov 2006 20:21 #95846 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic trike again
I plan on building a swingarm that bolts on just like the stock one so it could be changed back to a bike in a short time, it will use the stock type shocks and be 23in long, stock is 19in, the tires will be 26in diameter,probably a 205x14 on alum mags, a stock type disc and more than likley a front caliper will be modded to fit and mated to a stock rear brake master so the brakes will work as normal, so far the frame is an 84 KZ700, the engine is an 81 650CSR.....damn I just can't leave things alone, give me a pile of parts I'll do some thing with them, cars trucks cycles I'll take them all apart and put them back my way, I had the hardest time when I restored my H1E500 puting back like factory made it(well almost couldn't resist the chambers)...YES I have been to chopper web

Post edited by: agawam, at: 2006/11/28 23:22