Brake Pedal Spring Question

More
23 Nov 2006 13:05 #94366 by Nevco48
Brake Pedal Spring Question was created by Nevco48
Somebody here must have dealt with this problem. I've torn down, cleaned, painted and polished all the bits and pieces on my '78 750. I'm slowly putting it all back together, and wanted to put the brakes back on this morning. How do you get the brake pedal, and it's torsion spring, back on the shaft it rotates on? I spent several minutes trying different ideas but gave up; I knew if I just kept fighting it, I was going to stab myself with a screwdriver or something.
I tried loading the spring then sliding the pedal onto the shaft, but the spring coils get in the way since they are under tension and pulled up tight to the bottom of the shaft. Is there a way to bolt the pedal on, and then load the spring?
Thanks for any pointers guys. And Happy Thanksgiving.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2006 15:52 #94397 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Brake Pedal Spring Question
I have put a bunch of springs on the brake pivot and don't really understand the problem but the 750 twin may be different than the 900/1000. Why not go to buykawasaki.com parts diagrams and copy the picture of that assembly and post it... you might want to edit it to show/mark the spring(s) as I am thinking I don't really understand what you are asking.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• wireman
  • Visitor
23 Nov 2006 15:54 #94398 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Brake Pedal Spring Question
i broke the outside of my right ear years ago when the meat tenderizer part of a kaw brake pedal came around and knocked my lights out,be VERY CAREFULL!!!:( ;)

More
23 Nov 2006 19:25 #94446 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Brake Pedal Spring Question
Knocked your lights out? How in the heck?:huh:

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

• wireman
  • Visitor
23 Nov 2006 20:32 #94455 by wireman
i was working on my 1428turbo in my dining room years ago(anybody see a pattern forming?:P )had to pull the brake pedal back off for some reason and was worried about the spring tearing up the plating on frame so i was bent over with my head down by brake pedal trying to pull off spring and the nut wasnt on pedal anyway pedal came out so far and became spring loaded meat tenderizer on side of my head!:sick: :ohmy: :S :blink: :huh: :( when you look at my right ear from side

More
24 Nov 2006 04:31 #94491 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Brake Pedal Spring Question
Jeez Wireman! Burns, dogbites, conked in the head with a brake pedal.... youre a walking disaster zone.:laugh:

Anyway, I got that assembly back together last night. I started the spring and pedal onto the shaft, preloaded the spring tension with the pedal pointed straight up, then swung it down into position and carefully worked it into place, working the coils of the spring onto the barrel of the brake pedal with a screwdriver. If you have had your pedal off recently, this will all seem clear to you. If you haven't, leave the friggin thing alone! You don't want to end up like Wireman:ohmy:

• wireman
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2006 08:36 #94524 by wireman
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :silly: :pinch: :P