Adjusting air pressure in shocks..

More
22 Nov 2006 19:44 #94185 by ScottZ
Adjusting air pressure in shocks.. was created by ScottZ
I was just wondering how often those of you with adjustable shocks have to add air. I checked my front shocks on my '82 Spectre today and they were down to practically nothing after about 3 months of use. Is this normal or do I have a leak somewhere?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
22 Nov 2006 20:47 #94192 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Adjusting air pressure in shocks..
Normal for shocks that old. You might want to think about getting some aftermarket non-air shocks, I did and the change in the handling and ride was day and night. I knew it would help but I just didn't know how bad my old shocks were until I got new ones.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

More
23 Nov 2006 09:49 #94309 by ScottZ
Replied by ScottZ on topic Adjusting air pressure in shocks..
So that means new forks? What would work for this model, anyone know?

More
23 Nov 2006 10:01 #94313 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Adjusting air pressure in shocks..
If you have bucket loads of money to spend, then Ohlins forks would make an excellent upgrade, I think they are a little over $10,000 for the nice ones :D

Progressive fork springs and new seals work for us normal people (~$100 total) :)

For those with the $$$, Ohlins rear shocks can be had for ~$2000 for the piggyback models, ~$250 for Progressive rear shocks.

KD9JUR

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
23 Nov 2006 10:20 #94319 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Adjusting air pressure in shocks..
Check the o-rings (ref# 92055A in attached pic) in the cross-over air tube, it sits right below the upper triple clamp on your bike.

I had a similar problem with my ZN forks leaking air. It turned out that the o-rings were way dry and had dirt in between them and the fork tubes, which in turn prevented them from sealing properly. :pinch:

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/11/23 13:26

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ
Attachments:

More
23 Nov 2006 15:12 #94388 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Adjusting air pressure in shocks..
You should try to fix whatever is broke, but another solution is to get a spring kit with stiffer springs (25 y.o. springs are probably shot anyway). I use the springs from Works Performance and set the preload so I barelky have to use any air. We set up my buddy's bike so he could eliminate the air system entirely. It causes less "sticktion" on the fork seals and less stress on the seals so they don't blow out oil.

Their kits come with dual-rate springs and a pre-load spacer you cut to size.

Make sure the springs you get are about the same diameter as the ones you take out within about a millimeter, just to make sure you have the right kit.

Replace the oil while you're in there and make sure the level is exactly as it says in the manual.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/11/23 18:14