Front Rim Question.

More
20 Nov 2006 08:08 #93444 by darkwolf29a
Front Rim Question. was created by darkwolf29a
I just won a pair of brake calipers from a ZX6R from ebay.

So, now question is... with a 204mm front axle, and standard fork setup. What do I need to change to get it to work? I'd like to find a pair of rims that will work. I think I have a good chance of doing that, but I'm curious as to what models I should be investigating. I'm stuck on parts fish, so...if anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

I'm not, obviously, worried about stock look, at this point. Heck, the entire look of the stock bike is going out the window anyways. LOL

I know I'll need a bigger Master Cylinder, etc, and...I'll even have a go at changing the rear brakes from a drum to a disc. I just want something that will match, and work. LMAO

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2006 08:17 - 03 Dec 2008 11:29 #93449 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 11:29 by JMKZHI.

More
20 Nov 2006 08:24 #93452 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Front Rim Question.
Well,You'll have to change the mounting points if You plan on adapting those to a stock set of KZ forks,or get the forks that match those calipers.
They look identical to the ZRX calipers,which I have(not on the bike yet)but I'm also going to be using the ZRX forks.
Not too sure how You'd go about fabbing those to fit the KZ forks,but it could be a lot of work,as opposed to changing the forks as well.
And of course,if You change the forks,then You're going to want different wheels,etc....and on...and on and on,lol...:whistle: ...
What year bike did these parts come off of,btw?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
20 Nov 2006 08:37 #93455 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Front Rim Question.
I wrote: (in wiremans "where to buy brakes and wheel parts" thread)

Z1R rider wrote:

I always thought my Z1R had good brakes till I rode the kids' bikes, a GSXR-1000 and a CBR900RR. After running off the track because of a lack of braking power, I grafted on a set of ZX-6 calipers, 12 pistons total (though each is slightly smaller than the stockers) and they work great with the stock master cyl. and cable setup. Now I get that two finger lockup (or stoppie with better tires) I'm using HH pads on stock discs.
I made the adapter plate in my shop using a drill press, die grinder, and a tap & die set. Used 3/8 aluminum flat, for weight savings and ease of grinding. Most all the calipers I've looked at are a little different, so you'd have to make your adapters after you get the calipers (got mine off e-bay, $80 for the calipers, stainless lines, and the master cyl. off the ZX-6) With the pistons also on the inside of the caliper the clearance to the spokes got REAL close. I used the 3/8 as it's the same dimension as the mounting plate of the stock calipers. No flex so far,(been on for a year now) works great. After you squeeze that lever the first time, it'll look a whole lot better!!:) B) and you get that Eddie road racer look. I keep all the stuff I replace on the bike so I can put it back to stock if I ever sell it, or start to do shows.

Scott

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2006/11/20 11:37

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
20 Nov 2006 08:56 #93465 by darkwolf29a
Replied by darkwolf29a on topic Front Rim Question.
The calipers are from a 2001 ZX6r.

The bike they are going on is a 1983 KZ650 H3 CSR.

It has mag wheels, currently. I would like to keep the mag look, as I have no want/need to mess around with spokes. LOL

From what I'm seeing, a ZX6r front wheel should work, but I want to verify that.