where to buy brakes and wheel parts

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
14 Nov 2006 17:43 #92147 by wireman
where to buy brakes and wheel parts was created by wireman
allright as my current project slowly evolves its becoming painfully obvious stock kawasaki brakes aint gonna cut it:S performance machine used to sell rotors and calipers that would bolt up fairly close to the stock parts but they seem to be geared more towards harleys and sportbikes anymore.any ideas where to where to get some better calipers and rotors that can be installed on stock style hubs and forks without looking too much like sportbike parts?id like the rotors to be undrilled so i can put my own pattern in themB)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
14 Nov 2006 19:20 #92190 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic where to buy brakes and wheel parts
anyone,anyone?:P

More
14 Nov 2006 20:12 #92208 by steell
Replied by steell on topic where to buy brakes and wheel parts
How about just using modern calipers like six piston type on stock rotors? Someone here put a set of six piston calipers on a KZ650 (IIRC), and said stoppies were no problem to do :D

KD9JUR

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
14 Nov 2006 20:22 #92210 by wireman
yeah thats an option but im trying to keep everything as vintage looking as possible.maybe some 4 piston calipers any idea of what model to begin my search with?im thinking about 17" wheels in order to gain a little clearance for the turbo in front and i want to run 180 back tire,not that its gonna help when i crank up a few pounds of boost it will bust it loose anyway.i want to have a spare back wheel laced up with an 18" back rim for a slick when i go to play;) ah this is fun!:P

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
15 Nov 2006 05:28 #92248 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic where to buy brakes and wheel parts
KZP brakes with carbon pads aren't enough?

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2006 12:00 #92330 by wireman
anybody got an close up pictures of cop bike calipers out there?i remember stripping down a ford police interceptor back in early 80s i remember that thing was built like a tank really healthy big block,cast iron c-6 trans nodular 9" rearend damn thing even had an oil cooler for power steering pump!:S i guess they probably use some stout parts on the cop bikes also!:evil: thanks duck

More
15 Nov 2006 12:59 #92336 by darkwolf29a
Replied by darkwolf29a on topic where to buy brakes and wheel parts
Where can you get KZp brakes from?

I wouldn't mind mine out. My front brake is going to require rebuilding anyways, so replacing them isn't a worry, and....I'm turning mine into a streetfighter style, so looks....stock is no longer important either. ;)

Thanks

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
15 Nov 2006 13:15 #92343 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic where to buy brakes and wheel parts
I don't know what the advantage of multiple pistons is...
Looked up and KZ1000 P21/P22/P24 have the dual piston front calipers.

Here is a diagram of p21/p22 p24 has different part numbers but looks the same to me.

P21/P22 front brakes

It's a pdf file so you need acrobat to read it.

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/11/15 16:27

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2006 13:24 #92348 by wireman
im thinking more clamping power,which is what im looking for;)

More
15 Nov 2006 14:42 #92380 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic where to buy brakes and wheel parts
this would have the power, but maybe not quite the look you are after

Z1R rider wrote:

I always thought my Z1R had good brakes till I rode the kids' bikes, a GSXR-1000 and a CBR900RR. After running off the track because of a lack of braking power, I grafted on a set of ZX-6 calipers, 12 pistons total (though each is slightly smaller than the stockers) and they work great with the stock master cyl. and cable setup. Now I get that two finger lockup (or stoppie with better tires) I'm using HH pads on stock discs.
I made the adapter plate in my shop using a drill press, die grinder, and a tap & die set. Used 3/8 aluminum flat, for weight savings and ease of grinding. Most all the calipers I've looked at are a little different, so you'd have to make your adapters after you get the calipers (got mine off e-bay, $80 for the calipers, stainless lines, and the master cyl. off the ZX-6) With the pistons also on the inside of the caliper the clearance to the spokes got REAL close. I used the 3/8 as it's the same dimension as the mounting plate of the stock calipers. No flex so far,(been on for a year now) works great. After you squeeze that lever the first time, it'll look a whole lot better!!:) B) and you get that Eddie road racer look. I keep all the stuff I replace on the bike so I can put it back to stock if I ever sell it, or start to do shows.

Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2006 14:57 #92384 by wireman
yeah im trying to stay more origional looking if possible;)

More
15 Nov 2006 15:37 #92391 by chetriply
Replied by chetriply on topic where to buy brakes and wheel parts
Try mid to late 80's CBR brakes. They are 4 piston and look fairly period correct. I see them on the Evil Empire (e-bay) all the time for around $60 a set.