uprated shocks

• Crowson_punk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Nov 2006 09:59 #91032 by Crowson_punk
uprated shocks was created by Crowson_punk
the shocks on my z550ltd chop are crap, probably due to the loss of weight the chop involved!

I'm looking for piggyback shocks, with a lil more adjustment! I'd just like to know which other bikes have the right shock size, or if anybody has them, what makes do you recommend?

Jon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
10 Nov 2006 10:30 #91042 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic uprated shocks
Those look like aftermarket shocks. Are the over-rides set as soft as possible?

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

• Crowson_punk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Nov 2006 10:46 #91047 by Crowson_punk
Replied by Crowson_punk on topic uprated shocks
I wouldn't know, haven't had them off. The haynes manual I have say's they should be adjustable for more than just basic damping, these only have the usual adjustable spring plate?

And yeah, no matter where I set them the ride is crappy. On soft, it's to hard for just me, but too soft for a pillion, and from then on its only good for 2-up. They're currently smashing my spine into a million tiny pieces as UK roads are awful in the sticks!!

Jon.

• KZ_Rage
  • User
More
10 Nov 2006 10:55 #91049 by KZ_Rage
Well if they're not drooling oil then maybe changing to some other bikes shock might be the answer. Too soft for one up sounds like they're blown as there doesn't seem to be that much metal (weight) missing.

If you are looking for a low dough answer maybe look at the KZ400's shock for just riding by yourself. The center to center will be more important if trying another KZ's shock, anything else and you have to watch for interference at the mounts.

Where do you find a girl daring enough to ride pillion on the fender???

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)

• Crowson_punk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Nov 2006 11:13 #91054 by Crowson_punk
Replied by Crowson_punk on topic uprated shocks
lol it's got a pad bolted to the fender now! and proper pegs.

The stock ltd seat/frame and fender weigh a ton. Sat on a standard one at a shop a while back and it was a hell of a lot heavier compared to mine!! They aren't blown, and seem to be working ok, they just aren't soft enough. Would swapping to air shocks off a later ltd/gpz make a difference?

Jon.

• KZ_Rage
  • User
More
10 Nov 2006 12:18 #91068 by KZ_Rage
Hmmm... you say they aren't soft enough so that means what you're experiencing is a bounce not a bottoming out right?

The over-ride springs are too heavy even at the light setting for your weight alone so you need a set off of a lighter bike with the same center to center's. This of course will only make things worse when you have the brave little pillion on there. :lol:

My 550 has the same problem even with new aftermarkets. It is perfect with just me but I have to change the preload for when there is a pillion. It still handles far less responsive on bad roads. That is just a fact of life that when you change the total weight the shocks have to deal with you get totally different characteristics out of the bike. Piggybacks may be your only shock with enough range of adjustment to help. If you do add them don't be surprised if you start noticing the forks seem to be stiff or dive more as not only is your attention on the shocks now but with the piggy's on there the braking weight will be felt more in the forks since the rear has been hopping around apparently.

I'm glad you have a seat on there for the pillion because if not I would have loved to have seen a photo of the girl that nutters!

Post edited by: KZ_Rage, at: 2006/11/10 15:25

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)