Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Shorter fork dynamics. 18 Nov 2005 08:31 #8832

• godsjester71
  • godsjester71's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
In the continuing efforts to get my fork brace on my KZ550A1 along with the fender, I was measuring the forks on my KZ750G1. They are about 2 inches shorter than the 550's. This to me seems like a severe difference, but the fender mounting points are properly spaced.

Has anyone ever done this drastic of a change to the fork lengths, and what was the net effect?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shorter fork dynamics. 18 Nov 2005 10:23 #8854

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
I put a 750R1 (GPz) fork on my 750H1 (LTD). It's a non-offset fork, so the steering geometry is better. I had the H1 fork slipped up one inch in the triples, and now have the R1 fork slipped up even further, like maybe an inch and half or three quarters. I kept the H1 triple clamps because the headlight and gauges all attach to it. My Daytona fork brace was a direct transfer, fits exactly the same. I was afraid it'd be wobbly, but it tracks really well and feels a whole lot more solid. Bumpy corners are much less of a challenge now...

So what is it that you're trying to do here? What kind of fork brace is it, and what kind of problem are you experiencing? How about some pictures?
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Shorter fork dynamics. 18 Nov 2005 10:51 #8860

• godsjester71
  • User
Here is the thread that preceeded this one:
kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...iew/id,5328/catid,5/

Granted a simple solution to this is to forget the fork brace.

One good article I found is this one:
www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/RakeEx/RakeEx.htm

I might do a simple CAD layout of the bikes basic geometry and play with the angles and such.

Shorter fork dynamics. 18 Nov 2005 11:24 #8869

• guitargeek
  • User
Ahh, I remember the thread now. I thought you'd switched forks, but you're just trying to install a fork brace.

Yeah, it looks like you're going to have to get a brace of a different design, or maybe make one yourself...

Yeah, that is an interesting article. I love learning about the theory behind this stuff. It reinforces my belief that CHOPPERS SUCK! :laugh:
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Shorter fork dynamics. 19 Nov 2005 19:29 #9081

• godsjester71
  • User
OK, I did a mock-up of the integral points of my KZ550A1 in CAD. Rear axle, tire, swing arm pivot, steering head top and bottom and triple tree offset.

I measured the two forks, both were 31" from top of fork to axle center. tho the KZ550 was 1.25" offset forward from the fork center, where the KZ750ltd is centered.

The affects seem pretty extreme. Once again fork brace mounting averted. Damn, not the direction I wanted.

Post edited by: godsjester71, at: 2005/11/20 10:53

Shorter fork dynamics. 19 Nov 2005 19:52 #9086

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Have you thought about glassing the two pieces together after cutting the fender to make room for the brace? Seems like it could work, and you'd have both, although some painting would be needed. You'd still use all the original mounting holes for the fender, and it shoud be real stiff with both on.

Shorter fork dynamics. 19 Nov 2005 19:55 #9087

• godsjester71
  • User
I layed out the bike on CAD, measuring over and up . You can see the tape measure nailed to the deck in the picture, then level measured up to; rear axle, swing arm pivot, top and bottom shock mounting, top and bottom center of steering head, offset of triple tree, and fork information. Measurements were plus or minus 1/8" accurate

Shorter fork dynamics. 19 Nov 2005 19:59 #9088

• godsjester71
  • User
ronboskz650sr said:
Have you thought about glassing the two pieces together after cutting the fender to make room for the brace? Seems like it could work, and you'd have both, although some painting would be needed. You'd still use all the original mounting holes for the fender, and it shoud be real stiff with both on.
====================

I'm trying to not alter the fender if possible. Id rather go without the fork brace. This is fun for me anyway. I did this and pulled the engine out today. Can't complain. Now I can look at different front ends too.

Post edited by: godsjester71, at: 2005/11/20 11:16
Attachments:

Shorter fork dynamics. 23 Nov 2005 09:31 #9829

• godsjester71
  • User
Final straw:

I just got in the GPZ dual brake calipers, they dont fit on the stock KZ550A1 forks, but do fit on the KZ750G1 forks.

Guess I'll just slide them up a bit.

Shorter fork dynamics. 23 Nov 2005 10:48 #9844

• guitargeek
  • User
So is the 550 fork offset? Why don't the calipers fit?
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Shorter fork dynamics. 24 Nov 2005 19:36 #10091

• godsjester71
  • User
The 550 forks brake caliper mounting holes were either 3.25" or 3.75" (im not at home till sat evening) from center to center, the GPZ calipers are 2.75" which line up with the 750's. It seems there are alot of odd parts about this 550A1. Next thing to check as far as I can see is the relative disc location, and wheel clearance of fender.

• Page: