Dropping seat height?

More
27 Oct 2006 22:55 #87939 by kf6kmx
Dropping seat height? was created by kf6kmx
Is there a good way to drop the seat height on an 81 KZ750?

Its just a little higher than I like (I have to use a little too much 'toe standing' at the stop signs... I'd be much happier with about 1" lower ride height. Most of the roads around here have a lot of gravel and debris at the stop signs (ag country around here) and I'd like to have a little more contact with the ground for stability when stopped.

I've thought about trying to drop the preload settings on the rear, that might lower it while my weight is on it at least, but I dont know what that will do to the ride, it rides pretty good right now.

Also,I dont have the factory air forks.. It has a set of 'Forking by Frank' forks,but Ihave no idea what kind of specs there are for the forks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2006 23:08 #87945 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Dropping seat height?
cut the foam on your seat, lots of ppl have done it. even me, click here
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
28 Oct 2006 01:50 #87958 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Dropping seat height?
A hacksaw blade also works well for sculpting seat foam (and other styrofoam-like materials).

Removing seat foam is certainly an option, but there are other methods you might also wish to consider.

Simply using the least rear shock preload should allow the most spring sag and thereby provide the lowest seat height when sitting on the bike (and afford a cushier ride where that may be a priority as compared to a firmer setting for more aggressive riding). Lighter springs might also be used, being careful they don't easily and readily bottom out (compress completely over bumps).

Perhaps replacement with shorter shocks provided they allow sufficient clearance between the tire and rear fender so the tire doesn't hit up inside against the fender when crossing a bump while riding (and also damage the under-fender wiring).

Don't know if still available, but remember from past years trying an accessory link designed to lower the bike which fitted to the lower shock mount placing the shock bottom further back. The shocks then fit at at a slightly increased angle. Although lower, the resulting ride was too rigid for me (reminded of struts).

Many riders lower the front end by moving both front shock tubes an equal distance upwards in the triple clamp, maybe an inch or more. For me, this resulted in a more skittish handling front end (perhaps attributable to some change in rake and trail dimensions), so I returned them to their factory
position.

And maybe the simplest most time honored of all -- wearing boots with high heels.

This submitted from one preferring more of the easy chair effect for touring and longer distance riding.

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2006/10/28 04:54

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2006/10/28 04:59

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
28 Oct 2006 07:55 #87984 by Leather
Replied by Leather on topic Dropping seat height?
patton.. lowering the fork tubes will cause the bike to understeer or less forgiving in the balance department.. it changes the trail angle thus you have less reaction time.:ohmy: