question about relocating rear shock mount

More
24 Oct 2006 08:24 #86852 by ScottZ
I really like the pic of the 750 Spectre posted by Jasonw165 in the gallery ( kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...6&func=detail&id=656 )

I was wondering about the shock remount though. Jason hasn't been online in about 3 months so I haven't been able to get a PM from him about it. My questions:

1. Would this be a difficult mod?
2. Will it change the handling of the bike?
3. If I pay someone to do the welding, what would be a fair price for the work?
4. How much would it actually lower the seat height, assumming the original seat thickness stays the same. In other words, I'm wondering how much of the lowering is from a thinner seat and how much was from moving the shocks.

Post edited by: ScottZ, at: 2006/10/24 11:25

Post edited by: ScottZ, at: 2006/10/24 11:25

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2006 21:46 #87082 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic question about relocating rear shock mount
Ok, here goes:

1: It won't be a difficult mod if you have the welder from question 3 to do it. I would make sure that there is proper bracing and such in the area you're going to attach the new shock mount.

2: Moving the upper shock mount forward will affect the handling. The more away from vertical the shock becomes the less effective it is. The rear end will feel softer and may bottom out easier than stock. You will also lose some of the weight capacity since the spring is "softer."

3: I can't say how much should be charged. You'll have to check around a couple welding shops. I would take some pictures and take them in to help explain what you're trying to do.

4: Without going into geometrical equations, I would say that moving the shock would lower the seat height roughly 1"-2".

Hope this helps you in some way.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
25 Oct 2006 16:27 #87299 by ScottZ
Replied by ScottZ on topic question about relocating rear shock mount
That's about what I figured on #3. I bet just cutting the seat down would put me about where I want to be without messing with the shocks.