78 Z1R Handling

More
24 Oct 2006 06:01 #86813 by arcaneman
78 Z1R Handling was created by arcaneman
I have a 78 Z1R I would like to improve the handling on. Does anyone have some suggestion in regard to fork braces, steering dampers, different forks etc. Would also like to know brand name, model for any of the above if someone could recommed. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2006 06:12 #86818 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 78 Z1R Handling
I would start with the basics before adding other stuff... install new wheel bearings, tapered steering stem bearings and tapered swingarm bearings. I would put some Progressive fork springs in as well as some Progressive 12 shocks (or other good quality shocks) and use some good tires. If you own a Z1, you probably know that your frame has some places where there are extra welds (compared to the Z1) and you could add a couple more to stiffen the frame which is essentially the problem with any 70s vintage Z/KZ and last, to get rid of any head shake, a steering damper is in order. If you have a steel front fender, be sure to keep it as it adds rigidity and acts as a "fender brace"... I don't think anyone is making braces anymore so one would have to be fabricated I guess or you might find one on eBay. I am not sure of the dimensions but there are probably braces made for other bikes that would work. Last, you mentioned new front ends... lots of folks have switched the entire front end with a more modern bike. Just make sure you get the full brake system, axle and wheel, etc to make the swap less of a chore. I don't care for this alternative as it doesn't much preserve the original bike but if you are looking for better handling, this is an option but I wouldn't forego the new bearings and better tires...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
24 Oct 2006 06:37 #86826 by arcaneman
Replied by arcaneman on topic 78 Z1R Handling
Thanks

That seems like a logical point to begin. I will start there as I would perfer to retain the orginal look of the bike. - Mike

More
24 Oct 2006 06:52 #86833 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic 78 Z1R Handling
Welcome Mike.

Give of some pics of your collection. B)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s