Longer travel suspension

More
22 Oct 2006 15:45 #86307 by FEF
Longer travel suspension was created by FEF
I've been thinking. I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it....

I have a Z1 in a few pieces. It's mostly a collection of parts, but I was thinking I might put it back together. Then it occured to me... If my the Z1/KZ suspension had a bit more travel, I might use it for fire road exploring, too.

This is where I go south, I think. I started comparing it to the BMW GS1150R, and KLR650

BMW:
Dry weight: ~ 500lbs
Wheelbase: ~60"
Wheel travle: ~10"

Z1:
Dry weight: ~ 500lbs
Wheelbase: ~57"
Wheel travle: Ummm a lot less

KLR650(a19):
Dry weight: ~ 340lbs
Wheelbase: ~60"
Wheel travle: ~10"

I know the front forks of the KLR are about the same radius, but longer. I'd need a heaver spring rate though. The devel's in the details, but it appears the KLR forks are very similar to teh Z1. It's the rear swing arm that I can't figure out. Maybe a KLR rear end might work too.

It's an interesting thought, that's for sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2006 11:46 #86516 by solomrus
Replied by solomrus on topic Longer travel suspension
hmm.

hmm.

a z1 for fire roads.

might-could work.

instead of klr forks, which are VERY long, and there aren't a plethora of brakes... why not find a later model ltd with the longer forks? dual disk front end, 19" alloy wheel... you get the idea? spring rates will be close, if not spot-on.

then, on the rear, either a longer swing, or just throw some longer shocks on?

a set of dual-sport tires might do the trick.

still gonna be a bit heavy for really tight work, but it might be fun enough to slide around some. you could just get some dual-sport tires and heavy tubes and run the stock suspension too. easier to swap back and forth that way.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

• wireman
  • Visitor
23 Oct 2006 14:44 #86587 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Longer travel suspension
Attachments:

More
23 Oct 2006 15:10 #86600 by FEF
Replied by FEF on topic Longer travel suspension
solomrus wrote:

hmm.
instead of klr forks, which are VERY long, and there aren't a plethora of brakes... why not find a later model ltd with the longer forks? dual disk front end, 19" alloy wheel... you get the idea? spring rates will be close, if not spot-on.

I have a set of Spector (KZ1100?) forks here. I wonder if they are the same diameter as the KLR uppers? If I used the KLR upper (it's longer), and the Spector lowers (and springs), that might give me quite a bit of ground clearance. That might be enough for the front. HUMmmmmmmmm.

then, on the rear, either a longer swing, or just throw some longer shocks on?

The Suzuki swing arm is a popular swap. I'm wondering what would happen if I lengthend it a few inches, and added a longer shock from a heavy dual sport bike (KTM Adv, VStrom, ect). It has possibilities.

Thing is, I was riding a stock Z1 on dirt roads for years, when I was younger. It's just lacking a bit of travel. Sure, it would not likely get into the tight stuff my KLR would do. It won't even come close to what the KLX would do. But It might be just the ticket for 2up back road exploring(and cheaper then a GS BMW). Better yet, if I put a sidecar on it, I'd have a lot more ground clearance, becasue the exhaust goes around the right side of the hack.

I like the idea, so far. It's only half-baked, though. :)

More
23 Oct 2006 15:37 #86611 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic Longer travel suspension
just a pic to get you thinking. if your going to do it, go all out

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
23 Oct 2006 15:45 #86616 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Longer travel suspension
flht1997 wrote:

just a pic to get you thinking. if your going to do it, go all out

yeah,now thats a backroad,back mountain,backtree climbing or whatever else presents itself bike!:evil: :P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/10/23 18:51
Attachments:

More
24 Oct 2006 08:00 #86849 by solomrus
before i go any further, i want pics of stubig.

just kidding, that's a 416 'mog, right?

i've had a zany idea for a while now, of finding a rough kz650, and doing something like the triumph scrambler...

talller suspension, flat seat, dirt bars, and some dirt tires. make a skid plate, and some case guards. that would make a killer dirt road commuter.

but, back to your plan... the spectre forks would be just the ticket. go lighter on the fork oil, and you have the leading axle that way, should be 2 or 3" more travel in them. dual disks on that bike, iirc. probably a 19" front wheel.

get some tourances. they work great offroad. had some on my 98 tiger, and it rocked.

the rear... hmm. go with the gs arm, and shocks that are a couple inches longer. i'd run either a stock spoked rear wheel, as you can get some killer 18" off road rubber.

make some high-mount pipes for it, to keep them out of the muck.

the gs is over-rated. it's a great bike, if you can afford to make it that way. the general concensus around here is that the later model, 955i triumph tigers are far superior. faster, better handling, and longer legs.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
24 Oct 2006 09:25 #86866 by FEF
Replied by FEF on topic Longer travel suspension
solomrus wrote:

before i go any further, i want pics of stubig.

just kidding, that's a 416 'mog, right?

Yup, it's a 416. You can see some pics at 4x4wire.com
www.4x4wire.com/gallery/trailshots/4x4_T...rawlers/fredsnow.jpg
www.4x4wire.com/gallery/trailshots/4x4_T...lers/tn_Fredlogs.jpg

but, back to your plan... the spectre forks would be just the ticket. go lighter on the fork oil, and you have the leading axle that way, should be 2 or 3" more travel in them. dual disks on that bike, iirc. probably a 19" front wheel.

That's what's on the frame now. They are about 3"-4" too short. The travel may be OK, but the ride height is a bit too low.

The KLR650 tubes are longer. Will KLR650 upper tubes fit inside the Spector lowers? That will give me the ride height I'm looking for.

Gotta go. more ideas laer :)

More
24 Oct 2006 12:15 #86898 by solomrus
the doka kicks ass!!! those have been my favorite mogs forever. if we ever get out of town, that's what i am getting for a work truck. hands down, coolest vehicle ever.

the klr forks are either 38 or 41mm i'd guess. just throw a caliper on there and see. 36mm would be the stock kz diameter, right?

might be enough meat on a triple to bore out a couple MM to make it work?

pretty much *any* tubes will work, doesn't have to be from the klr. if your trees are 36mm, check around for a set of forks from an older dirt bike. bound to be some on fleaby for cheap. put new seals in them, and figure out what front wheel you can use. get a 21" front hoop for 40 spokes, and lace it to a stock kawasaki front hub. have to deal with brakes tho.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four