Front Hub Assembly

More
24 Oct 2006 06:29 #86823 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Front Hub Assembly
The bearings run in a race. There is an outer and inner race... concentric circles with ball bearings between. Sealed bearings have covers on the sides and the factory greases them. Yours are not sealed bearings. To REMOVE your bearings and replace them which I strongly advise you do while you have the wheel aparts... do this... First, get a drift (long aluminum rod) and a big hammer. Push the center tube spacer thing slightly to the side. Recall there are outer and inner races. Locate the drift through the wheel and onto the edge of the bearing which is the outer race. Tap with hammer and move the drift around the perimeter of the bearing. It is pressed into the wheel and will pop out once you start tapping. To install the new bearing, you can get a bearing driver which looks a lot like a socket. You just sit the new bearing in the well and tap the EDGE (NEVER THE BALL BEARINGS) and once you have it started about 1/8", just more or less drive it home with the driver. I do use impact sockets for this purpose. As far as finding bearings, look in the parts diagrams for your bike year/model in Kawasaki.com under owner info. Once you have found the bearing, the part number will be a four digit one with a couple letters at the end... such as 6203 or 6302... these are STANDARD bearing numbers... the letters on the end like 6203ZZ mean a 6203 bearing with both ends closed by aluminum. If you are near a city, there will be stores that sell bearings... If you tell them you want an ELECTRIC MOTOR BEARING number 6203 (or whatever number you need) they WILL have it in stock. They will have the 6203ZZ but also MANY other combos... some not sealed, some sealed on one side and some with different seal materials. I like sealed bearings. Repacing is inconvenient and messy. It is pretty easy to change out bearings and I keep them on my shelf in the event I get the urge to swap bearings out.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2006 06:34 #86824 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Front Hub Assembly
I bought sealed bearings and on advice from someone here I removed the seal and packed them by hand. Surprise! The new sealed bearings had almost no grease in them. It looked like a thin smear of vaseline. I put a glob of grease in my hand and pushed as much as I could in the bearing.

The seals are rubber and can be removed with a pick, and easily inserted back in place.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.