Chain adjustment, noise on the sprocket

More
20 Oct 2006 03:17 #85653 by Sweet Back
Chain adjustment, noise on the sprocket was created by Sweet Back
SO, I noticed my chain was makin noise. It was what I think is pretty loose. I went ahead and adjusted. The sprocket is makin noise like its grinding or something. I actually felt it first as my bike is fairly loud. I pulled in the cliutch to let it roll, and its definitely makin noise. It was super tight when I went back, so I loosened it again, made sure it was dialed in, in gear as well. Still doin it. I pulled the cover and checked the sprocket out. Looks fine. Might need replacing soon, but this doesn't seem right. Any thoughts?

1996 KZ1000P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2006 05:35 #85666 by ambergrismooon
Replied by ambergrismooon on topic Chain adjustment, noise on the sprocket
Grinding is not good. First make sure it's chain or sprocket and not wheel bearings. Get her up on centerstand. Rotate wheel and where is the grinding coming from....engine or wheel side? If you have a masterlink chain unhook chain and spin wheel. Is it still grinding? If it is I would say either wheel bearings or hitting chain guard. If it is quiet then drop chain and inspect. Inspect sprockets for wear too. Loosen shocks and check swingarm sideplay too. If you do all that and still have rattles look for marbles. Look for mine too....they seem to be lost!:ohmy: Luck!

More
20 Oct 2006 05:58 #85673 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Chain adjustment, noise on the sprocket
The rear wheel could just be out of alignment. When that happens the chain gets a lot of side pressure and will make noise as it runs around the sprocket.

Do not use the marks on the swingarm to adjust the chain. Align the wheels with the string method. Once that is done move each adjuster the same amount.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
21 Oct 2006 11:50 #86011 by Sweet Back
Replied by Sweet Back on topic Chain adjustment, noise on the sprocket
Thanks for the help. I did use the marks on the frame. My mistake. I was unable to use the method you suggested as I have a tail dragger fender and can't really see the tire. I just used the axle and tried to gauge where it was on either side, if it matched up. Anyway, grinding is gone, all is good in KZ land. Thanks again all.

1996 KZ1000P

More
03 Apr 2008 22:58 - 03 Apr 2008 23:00 #204138 by jim_palmore
Replied by jim_palmore on topic Chain adjustment, noise on the sprocket
whats the string method? after replacing my rear tire its making a sound. I was afraid it might be from removing the drive sprocket when I had the motor out.

ENJOY LIFE,, THIS IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL.
1991 KZ1000P FROM COPPER TO CHOPPER. MY BADASS BOBBER
Last edit: 03 Apr 2008 23:00 by jim_palmore.

More
04 Apr 2008 08:56 #204195 by MCH650SR
Replied by MCH650SR on topic Chain adjustment, noise on the sprocket
Here's a site I found that will explain the procedure.

www.yamahafz1oa.com/sportryderswheelalignmentmethod.shtml

I'm going to check mine also.

1979 KZ650SR
modified with BS32 carbs
Yoshimura 4 in1
2006 Kawasaki Sherpa
1979 Honda CX500
BC Canada