Pulsing front brake

• Patton
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
17 Oct 2006 18:20 #85062 by Patton
Pulsing front brake was created by Patton
Have a pulsing sensation during light front wheel braking which doesn't seem to appear when braking hard. Not mushy and will stop on a dime with no noise or squealing. Master cylinder, calipers, and pads are all good, and with fresh fluid and no leaks. Both disks look clean and appear normal from a casual inspection, but I'm thinking warped disk(s). Is there an easy way to check this and can they be trued by some grinding process at a local auto repair or machine shop? Assume the disks would need to first be removed from the wheels. Any land mines for the inexperienced (that would be me) to watch out for here? Maybe the pulsing isn't dangerous, but is aggravating and a constant reminder that something just ain't right. Thanks for your help, and sorry if I've overlooked an archive article about this.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2006 18:24 #85065 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Pulsing front brake
I suspect that you're right that it's a warped rotor. Removing the rotor from the front wheel isn't too bad of a process, once you pull it off it's just a matter of finding a local shop that will resurface it for you. Not sure if auto parts stores that have a brake lathe will be able to resurface a kz rotor (I know the one we had when I worked for O'Reilly's wouldn't) but you should be able to find a machine shop or bike shop that can do it for you. I'd suggest replacing your brake pads after getting your rotor resurfaced too or you might still notice a pulse from your pads being worn crooked from the wacky rotor.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• wireman
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2006 19:43 #85085 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Pulsing front brake
try some place that surfaces flywheels.;)

• Patton
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
17 Oct 2006 19:51 #85086 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Pulsing front brake
Is this a service I might inquire about through the local NAPA or maybe the Yellow Pages? (Hate making inquiries resulting in a blank stare). Looks like I'm gonna hafta locate and patronize a local flywheel grinder. Thanks, Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• wireman
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2006 20:10 #85093 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Pulsing front brake
any auto parts store with machine shop should be able to it as long as its not warped too bad.;)

More
18 Oct 2006 02:59 #85146 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Pulsing front brake
check your front wheel bearings while youre in there. i suggest if it smooths out when you squeeze it hard its possible the bearings are suspect here and not the rotors...steve

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts