Fairing Removal

More
13 Oct 2006 10:26 #83957 by JCGreen
Fairing Removal was created by JCGreen
I wasn't sure if this should go here or in paint and body so if I get moved I will know better. I have a '99 KZ1000P old police bike and I have been thinking about removing the fairing off the front and remounting the headlights and turn signals on the forks. Kinda de-copify it a wee bit. Anyone ever done this? Any pointers? thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2006 11:10 #83965 by mjkawa
Replied by mjkawa on topic Fairing Removal
I had a Vetter fairing on my 82 kz1000J that I took off, and it was pretty easy. Youll neet to get the head light and brackets, but that should be pretty easy on Ebay. Youll also have to do a little wireing for the headlights and turn signll, also pretty simple.
But your gunna miss the way that traffic parts in front of you on the freeway!!:lol: :lol:

82 KZ-1000-J
77 KZ650 B

More
17 Oct 2006 07:56 #84919 by JCGreen
Replied by JCGreen on topic Fairing Removal
I know that I definately dont have problems being spotted on my bike as it is. That is definately a good thing, but I was thinking about doing some custom work to it over time. I am thinking about going with a night train type look with everything blacked out. Whatcha think?

More
17 Oct 2006 12:29 #84985 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Fairing Removal
Here's a picture of Sandracer's Fat Kaw. There may be other pics of this bike in the gallery, as well as pics of other police bikes that have been modified. But the KZ1000 gallery has like 50 pages.
Anyway, I've always liked this bike.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC
Attachments:

More
18 Oct 2006 06:29 #85183 by JCGreen
That is definately a very nice looking Kaw. Very nice indeed..

More
20 Oct 2006 02:44 #85649 by Sweet Back
Replied by Sweet Back on topic Fairing Removal
Could't help myself. I recommend it. Not many of us around. I didn't remove my own fairing but its pretty simple from what I'm told. First pic is with taildragger fenders, before paint. Next one is after paint

Post edited by: Sweet Back, at: 2006/10/20 05:47

1996 KZ1000P

Attachments:

More
20 Oct 2006 02:51 #85651 by Sweet Back
Replied by Sweet Back on topic Fairing Removal
paint, has pinstripes now, and some fender struts. I'll try to get the updated shot

1996 KZ1000P

Attachments:

More
22 Oct 2006 15:52 #86311 by JCGreen
It looks very good mate. Thats about what I had in mind for mine, but I want to black out everything like an old HD nighttrain. I'm sure it would have one heck of a different look. Yours looks great btw. :)