Mastere Cylinder Honing

More
06 Oct 2006 05:23 #82174 by bemoore
Mastere Cylinder Honing was created by bemoore
I want to hone the bore on my front master cylinder. I did a Google search for hones and found 180 grit and 320 grit hones. Which one would be best? I'm leaning toward the 320 grit to get a smoother finish.

Thanks.

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
06 Oct 2006 09:53 #82240 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic Mastere Cylinder Honing
I used WD40 and AAAA steel wool wrapped around a dowel placed in a drill. Worked like a charm every time i did it.
Make sure to clean out the master extrememly well with solvents & air before reassembling it. no need to buy expensive hones if you dont really need to.

• wireman
  • Visitor
06 Oct 2006 10:44 #82248 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Mastere Cylinder Honing
ran429 wrote:

I used WD40 and AAAA steel wool wrapped around a dowel placed in a drill. Worked like a charm every time i did it.
Make sure to clean out the master extrememly well with solvents & air before reassembling it. no need to buy expensive hones if you dont really need to.

ditto,leave it to the low-buck plumbers!:P

More
06 Oct 2006 10:50 #82249 by bemoore
Replied by bemoore on topic Mastere Cylinder Honing
ran429 wrote:

Hmmmm. I like that idea. Thanks. BTW, is it critical to use WD40? I typically just use brake fluid. It seems to work pretty well as a lubricant.

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

• wireman
  • Visitor
06 Oct 2006 11:06 #82255 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Mastere Cylinder Honing
thats fine,just make sure to scrub everything out really good with rubbing alcohal when you are done and dont get petroleum based cleaners on any rubber parts.;)