Time to clean chain & sprockets?

More
27 Sep 2006 18:14 #80134 by EsaPro
Time to clean chain & sprockets? was created by EsaPro
Whilst chainging my oil & filter today (another post about that somewhere), I noticed a bit of grime on the front sprocket.

I searched the archives and found several recommendations for WD40 then chain wax. I think I know what I am doing Saturday morning. :P

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2006 18:16 #80135 by EsaPro
Replied by EsaPro on topic Time to clean chain & sprockets?
Grrr... forgot to resize that one! :angry:

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)
Attachments:

More
27 Sep 2006 18:27 #80138 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Time to clean chain & sprockets?
They do get a little dirty...don't they :)

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades
Attachments:

More
27 Sep 2006 18:38 #80140 by EsaPro
Hmmm, somehow that makes me feel better. ;) I guess guilt, as well as misery, loves company!

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
27 Sep 2006 18:53 #80143 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Time to clean chain & sprockets?
Oh mine are always horribly dirty/oily. Just keep it lubed regularly, and it gets that way.

I see you're both running 16's up front... With my 17 up front, and my protective shield still in place (you can see it on ronjones' bike, but EsaPro has his removed), it's so tight that grime doesn't really get a chance to build up much in there. And when it does, you can barely get a cloth between the guard and the chain to clean it out.... so I don't... ;)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
27 Sep 2006 19:00 #80146 by EsaPro
I have to say, I did not remove the guard - must have been one of the POs. This is the first time I have had the cover off. Wonder if I can get ahold of one of those? Seems like it might be a pretty obscure part. But then again, it also looks (from ronjones pic) that it does not do much to stop the crap from flinging everywhere under the cover. :(

Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

More
27 Sep 2006 19:03 #80149 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Time to clean chain & sprockets?
You should see mine! I think I can claim the KZ record for chain/sprocket life, now at 57,000 miles and counting. I never clean under the cover until I replace the chain, which looks to be probably 65-70k miles.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
27 Sep 2006 19:38 #80167 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Time to clean chain & sprockets?
Biquetoast wrote:

Oh mine are always horribly dirty/oily. Just keep it lubed regularly, and it gets that way.

I see you're both running 16's up front... With my 17 up front, and my protective shield still in place (you can see it on ronjones' bike, but EsaPro has his removed), it's so tight that grime doesn't really get a chance to build up much in there. And when it does, you can barely get a cloth between the guard and the chain to clean it out.... so I don't... ;)

Actually that is a before picture. The main reason I parked the bike (meaning to get back to it...12yrs ago :pinch:)) was because I needed to replace the chain and sprockets. While I was at it I put a 17 tooth sprocket to get a little more top end w/less rpm's. She's so torquey on the low end I doubt I'll loose much, there.
It looks a LOT better now :)
Ron

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2006/09/27 22:39

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades