rakeing a 76 900

More
20 Sep 2006 15:36 #78295 by wylderide
rakeing a 76 900 was created by wylderide
Just trying to find out what anyone else might have done. I've been thinking something like 5 degrees, but not sure yet. Doing my research. This is for my street/strip bike. I have a 8" over swingarm, wheelie bar, etc. Just doesn't feel real steady at 130. Also is there anyone on here that has done this before. With that neck configuration i'm still not sure on where to start the chop. Done lots of harleys but no kz'z yet. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
20 Sep 2006 15:51 #78299 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic rakeing a 76 900
thats gonna be really steep for a street bike,im going about 2-3 degrees on my 1385 turbo project with about 3" over on swingarm its gonna be a streetbike though.;)

More
20 Sep 2006 16:10 #78303 by wylderide
Replied by wylderide on topic rakeing a 76 900
I will probably go 3-4 then. How about other bracing on the frame, to help reduce chassis flex. Any known good places for extra bracing. I have a pretty worked motor and will be adding a turbo to it after I have the chassis all worked out on the track. I've raced the bike lots before and it works ok. Kinda twisty and a little funny at real high speeds.

• wireman
  • Visitor
20 Sep 2006 21:47 #78377 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic rakeing a 76 900
we are in the process of gusseting mine right now,ithink we are gonna work on it tomorrow night ,ill post more progress picks if we do.;)

More
23 Sep 2006 16:23 #79016 by KZ
Replied by KZ on topic rakeing a 76 900
I raked my '78 1K and it came out to about 31 degrees. Handles surprisingly well in the corners, goes straight down the road and looks a hundred times better (to me). I cut through the frame tubing such that I left about ½ inch "stubs" still connected to the steering head. I then inserted short lengths of tube inside the frame tubing and welded it up where they joined. I had to bend the smaller diameter tubes a bit to line back up with the stubs still on the steering head. I then welded side plates on for a bit more strength. I also extended my stock swingarm 3".

Here is an older pic

Post edited by: KZ, at: 2006/09/23 19:24
Attachments:

More
27 Oct 2006 14:50 #87845 by KZbilly
Replied by KZbilly on topic rakeing a 76 900
do you have any close up pics of your rake. I have been doing some work on my kz and was thinking about raking the front but wasn't sure. thanks. billy

More
27 Oct 2006 18:08 #87870 by customkzft
Replied by customkzft on topic rakeing a 76 900
Ok I'm still learning things but one question, what is involved in raking a bike? the neck has to be cut from the frame and rewelded right?