05 gsxr swingarm on z1

More
19 Sep 2006 12:21 #77871 by jcleach
05 gsxr swingarm on z1 was created by jcleach
I have a 74 Z1aw/14,00 0riginal miles w 99 gs500 front end in stock triples
dyna race ign., bst36ss carbs modified 03 gsxr1000 d&d exhaust,and I am stuck on the rear. cmplete 05 gsxr 750 suspension w/ gs500 3.5"wheel any suggestions on adapting an axle? gsxr axle o.d. 28mm gs500 axle 17mm
no one can make me bearings to adapt!:woohoo: :angry:

Post edited by: jcleach, at: 2006/09/22 21:51

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2006 12:32 #77873 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 05 gsxr swingarm on z1
the swingarm im gonna use on my turbo bike once its lengthened(hello joe!:P )is from a gsxr also we are making new ends to go with stock kz1000 hub and axle so that part is no problem.the swingarm pivt bolt is a lot smaller from the z1 to the gsxr which will cause lots of headaches for you once you get to that point.i was going to have a sleeve/bushing machined to go between pivot bolt and stock gsxr bearings but decided that would be a major pain so we decided to remove the needle bearing cages and go with some old tech bronze bushings instead just make sure to add a grease zerk the gsxr arm i have didnt have one.

More
19 Sep 2006 13:01 #77888 by jcleach
Replied by jcleach on topic 05 gsxr swingarm on z1
bronze bushings? tell me more, I have entered into a contest and have 9 days left 'till show! home made?

• wireman
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2006 13:16 #77896 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 05 gsxr swingarm on z1
bushings like z1 swingarm used in place of bearings in gsxr arm.just need to find same o.d as stock bearing cages in swingarm and same i.d as z1 swingarm pivot or smaller and have them reamed to z1 size after installing bushings in swingarm.make sure to add grease zerk to swingarm pivot ;)

More
19 Sep 2006 13:24 #77898 by tw..
Replied by tw.. on topic 05 gsxr swingarm on z1
I ran into the same situation with the front end on my KZ 900. Here is what i did. I took the larger axel and had it bored out to accept the smaller axel this way i don't have to mess with trying to get custom bearings made which i too could not find anyone to make. It worked great for my front end. The only thing i caution you with is not to have the axel bored out too much. The inner axel needs to fit snug without any slop.

Hope this helps.

tw

2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

More
22 Sep 2006 18:41 #78845 by jcleach
Replied by jcleach on topic 05 gsxr swingarm on z1
I spent all day yesterday in the machine shop making my bushings and rearsets. Bolted the rearsets up and fell in love, amazing what you can do with a few hours, a bandsaw, a mill, an engine lathe, and a couple pieces of alluminum and bronze stock! Jeff at allballs racing gave me the bearing specs to the hundredth of a millimeter. My swingarm came in today and presto!they fit beautifully. I knocked out the inside sleeve and replaced it with my bushing , retaining the bearings.
As for the axle, my bushings were perfect as well, but my axle is 1.5" too short. oops! Heading to the local bolt shop in the morning, then to salvage if not there.
Any suggestions on axle applications?:S