EX500 front end measurements...

More
16 Sep 2006 17:26 #77292 by Fossil
EX500 front end measurements... was created by Fossil
I headed to my local bike wreckers today to take some measurements and spend some money, only to find them closed, and yes I did ask this here before, but here goes again....
Anyone have, or have access to an EX500? I need the centre to centre measurement of the stanchions and the offset measurement for those with 37mm stanchions. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2006 06:30 #78702 by NickD
Replied by NickD on topic EX500 front end measurements...
I thought I could help until you got to the 37mm part. Just for reference, '94 and newer EX500s use the 37mm forks; '93 and older bikes have the 36mm tubes.

I can ask on the EX forums next time it's up and running (server problems lately). I suppose by center to center you mean of the fork tubes/triple tree tube mounts? I'm lost on the offset part. Does that have something to do with the placement of the steering stem in relation to the fork tubes?

More
22 Sep 2006 08:47 #78728 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic EX500 front end measurements...
Thanks, just knowing what years have the 37mm fork tubes helps a lot. You're right, the offset is the distance between the the stem and the tubes measured on the center. The center to center I was referring to for the fork tubes is the width of the forks. If this actually works, it will both shed some weight and I will be able to mount this Storz handlebar conversion, or use the higher EX500 clipons for comfort.

More
10 Oct 2006 09:45 #83182 by NickD
Did you ever find the info you need? I can try and reach a few EX500 riders I know to get some measurements if you still need them.

I didn't have notify turned on for this thread (and didn't know I had to manually turn it on), so I never knew you'd replied. The EX forums have been and are still down for the count, I don't know if they're coming back or not. I hope so.

More
10 Oct 2006 13:47 #83242 by Fossil
Thanks for following up on this. It started to look like it was going to be a lot of trouble, so I put it aside for a while. Then a friend offered a GSXR fork in trade so I was looking into/considering that for a while. As it stands now, I am keeping the clipons on it. I actually have the bike up for trade for a Brit bike (Commando, 650 Triumph, A10) but if that doesn't work out, I will just keep it and install the braided brake lines and progressive springs, and get around to painting the front wheel too. I will be selling the Storz handlebar conversion, eventually.

More
10 Oct 2006 18:15 #83335 by NickD
I think I've gathered what the Storz conversion is, but I figured I'd just ask. Does it convert the EX riser setup to a 7/8" handlebar mount? If so, let me know if you're looking to sell and how much, I may be interested.

On a side note, just for reference, you can get mid to late '80s ZX6 (not R) risers that will bolt directly to an EX triple but drop the controls about 2" or so lower. If that's something you're looking to do I can find out the specifics, but that seems to be the opposite way you were heading with your project. If so, I don't blame you :P .

More
10 Oct 2006 18:30 #83344 by Fossil
The Storz bar conversion bolts into the clipon mounting holes and does convert to standard type 7/8" bars. I can get a pic tomorrow. I paid $50 CDN for it, so that's all I'm looking for, plus postage. I had hoped to use it to mount narrowed MX type bars ala Streetfighters.

edit: a quick Google around came up with this pic. It's virtually identical, but for the EX500
storz_performance

Post edited by: Fossil, at: 2006/10/10 21:35

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/10/22 21:28

More
22 Oct 2006 15:33 #86303 by NickD
Fossil wrote:

The Storz bar conversion bolts into the clipon mounting holes and does convert to standard type 7/8" bars. I can get a pic tomorrow. I paid $50 CDN for it, so that's all I'm looking for, plus postage. I had hoped to use it to mount narrowed MX type bars ala Streetfighters.

edit: a quick Google around came up with this pic. It's virtually identical, but for the EX500
storz_performance edited by: Fossil, at: 2006/10/10 21:35

Let me know if you decide you want to get rid of the Storz converter. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning toward converting mine to drag bars and sticking with the nekkid look.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/10/22 21:29

More
22 Oct 2006 16:18 #86321 by Fossil
NickD, I sent you an email.