Rear Wheel Hub Question

More
10 Nov 2005 20:46 #7651 by mattb
Rear Wheel Hub Question was created by mattb
I was having trouble because I could not get my rear axel tight enough, so I decided to take it apart and make sure I wasn't mising anything.

Guess what?

I was missing the coupling sleeve marked 13 in the picture below. Now that I try to put it in, the coupling that fits into the cush drive is not fitting right and seems to be to high in the center.

My question is, should the sleeve marked 13, fit inside the ball bearing marked 17 in the pic below? Now, I think it is going up against it, but I am not sure that I have an original Kawasaki part in there (which would explain the bad fit if that is the case).

Post edited by: mattb, at: 2005/11/10 23:52

Post edited by: mattb, at: 2005/11/10 23:53
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2005 07:21 #7707 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Rear Wheel Hub Question
No it does not fit inside the bearing, it fits inside the seal and flush against the bearing. I imagine that riding the bike without the spacer was a little interesting, since the wheel would have beeen able to slide back and forth on the axle. Check the wheel bearings to make sure they have not walked themselves out of position, the seals should not protrude beyond the edge of the wheel, if they do then the bearing(s) need to be tapped back into position.

Did you get the spacer from a Kawasaki dealer, and was it listed as the proper one for your bike? They are not all the same.

Btw, what year/model is your bike?

Post edited by: steell, at: 2005/11/11 10:29

KD9JUR

More
11 Nov 2005 17:21 #7829 by mattb
Replied by mattb on topic Rear Wheel Hub Question
Sorry - Didn't have my signature up to date.

It is a 1978 KZ1000A2.

The spacer is the correct part; it is the ball bearing that I think might not be original, though it is definately the right diameter. Perhaps too thick now with the spacer in? I'll take it all apart and have a good look.

Thanks for the info.