kz650 chopper

More
11 Sep 2006 10:19 #75900 by timber
kz650 chopper was created by timber
i had a extra kz650 frame with no title. i have seen where guys hardtail a stock frame and but weld the to the lower rails. that isnt the strongest way of doing it and i have always thought it looked like crap. so i got some 1 1/8 tubing which is close to stock size. a little trimming, cutting & bending i came up with this hardtail chopper frame.

Post edited by: timber, at: 2006/09/11 13:27
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2006 10:30 #75904 by timber
Replied by timber on topic kz650 chopper
had problems posting a pix LOL
Attachments:

More
11 Sep 2006 13:28 #75921 by kznuke
Replied by kznuke on topic kz650 chopper
That looks great! I hope you took some pix of what it took to get where it is so far. If so...let's see 'em. I'd love to do something like that but even if I can get access to the tools and equip (pretty sure I can), I wouldn't know where to start. Please post what you can, when you can. Thanks and good luck.

More
11 Sep 2006 19:44 #76008 by timber
there isnt much to it. as far as step by step photo's. i didnt take alot but i did at major steps in the building. whay you see is a weekends worth of work. once the frame is stripped down it doesnt take much to get it to this point. you need a frame jig to lock the frame in so it doesnt move around on ya when you build. if it something you really want to do i will help ya step by step.

i used a saw-zall, grinder with a flapper wheel, a tubing bender(you could use a pipe bender if your careful and do a couple of things) and a welder. a piece of string to make sure i keep everything straight and in line with the back bone. thats about it.

More
12 Sep 2006 21:53 #76270 by timber
over a 100 views. does everyone hate it that much they wont say anything? i know ya all like them stock a sometimes a little mod but the cold shoulder.

More
12 Sep 2006 22:57 #76280 by EddieBoy
Replied by EddieBoy on topic kz650 chopper
i love the mod...im a frame hacker/welder myself. for me the building is as big or bigger a rush than the ride.
im not sure how many folks here do the same though..
either they dont have the equipment or only have one bike and arent so willing to just cut it up and then put it back together...others though think nothing of riding theyre bike home from a long day at work,pull in the carport..tear it all to pieces.stay up till 5:30 in the morning,all the time watching the clock..knowing 7:30 gonna be here quick and if these damn piston rings dont cooperate soon i may be late for work cause this is my only ride.

you'll find as a fabricator that very few people can really appreciate everything that goes into building a bike from the ground up..and the ones that can...well you know,been there done that.
kinda like a painter..standing back...arm extended full length...thumb up..tip of the tongue peeking out towards the left cheek creating my masterpiece.
the public can only speculate..and the other painters are always critics:)
but none the less the masterpiece is there..i can feel it,touch it..i created it..i am god like:) or so it seems(ducking the lighting bolt:huh: )..
i doubt its the cold shoulder..maybe folks just been busy painting their masterpiece..

Post edited by: EddieBoy, at: 2006/09/13 01:58

Post edited by: EddieBoy, at: 2006/09/13 02:10
Attachments:

• tganek
  • Visitor
12 Sep 2006 23:06 #76283 by tganek
Replied by tganek on topic kz650 chopper
i have always loved metric chops. Only seen Hondas and 1 yahmaha in person. Just waiting to see how it turns out!

More
13 Sep 2006 04:51 #76308 by heartless
Replied by heartless on topic kz650 chopper
looks like some great fabbing to me. would like to see some more pics too.

but now my curiosity is piqued - what are the legalities of taking a frame like that with no title, building something like you are doing, and then attempting to title it??? is it possible?? steps involved? etc?

reason i ask is we have an old KZ frame (either a 400 or 440 - dont remember which offhand) with no title just begging for something to be done with it....

More
13 Sep 2006 08:51 #76379 by timber
you dont see alot of them but when you do see kz chops they are 900 & 1000 in a amen frame or something like that from the 70's

i'm pushing to get it to roll down to the rockerbox this year. it would be a rat bike if i did and would get a nice finish over winter. we'll see?? if not i will down with my z650 with the 1000p front end.

i know what your talking about ripping your bike apart after work! i got home at midnight couple weeks back. ripped off my front end and put a cop front end. knowing i was going to ride it to work the next day. couple hours later with a bedtime beer in hand i switched out my front end. i do have my stock ride that i do little thing to like putting on 1000p front end on a kz650. and i may do some more little things but i want to keep it so i can kind it on long trips. the hardtail is good for day trip blasting. i can make it so i can ride it long distances but that is not what i'm after.

More
13 Sep 2006 09:02 #76382 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic kz650 chopper

More
26 Sep 2006 15:50 #79830 by Kellen79_650
Replied by Kellen79_650 on topic kz650 chopper
I love the hardtail mod. I think that Jap Bobbers look great. I have my 79' 650 completly stripped right now and am rebuilding the engine while looking to hire someone to hardtail my frame. Let me know if you have any connections in Wahington State.

Love the frame, great work!

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain

More
26 Sep 2006 17:20 #79853 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic kz650 chopper
Cool project Timber. B)

Keep us posted on the changes.

I'd like to know as well how you can get a title for an untitled modified bike. It will need to pass a safety inspection right? Although safeties can be easy to get, sight unseen sometimes. :unsure:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s