Time for brake pads, 78 KZ650C, Sintered or non-sintered

More
05 Sep 2006 20:34 #74762 by BradL45
I have some very noisy front and read brakes. Current pads have some life to them, but I usually change brake pads and brake fluid when I buy a bike. My brake disks are the solid ones.

My BMW LT has had a noisy rear brake that was cured by a Sintered EBC set of pads, but reading here, for a KZ EBC pads are not the way to go.

I was looking at Denniskirt.com and found these: SBS Street LF Ceramic Brake Pads,
Brake pads at Dennis Kirk
these are for sintered disks only, my best guess is that the eairly KZs are non_sintered disks. Can these save me from brake squeal?

I've read here some brake noise fixes, I'll try the tips on my current pads(beveling, crosscut, goop, maybe some waxed cardboard orbacking), but still need to order up 2 sets for the front, and a set of pads for the rear in the mean time. I'm looking for some OEM NOS, but will need some other options.

IF the ceramic pads wear the disks out faster(but not 50% faster) maybe this will be a good option.

Good day

Brad

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/09/08 23:41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2006 07:38 #74820 by OnkelB
Generally sintered pads are made for stainless rotors, so if you have the stock rotors I´d go with non-sintered. Some background info here.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
06 Sep 2006 12:58 #74887 by BradL45
Thanks for the link, great info.

I'll replace with non-sintered pads.

Brad

More
08 Sep 2006 20:04 #75379 by rgpbeme
I have a kz 1000. In the book is says in big letters Do not use sintered brake pads unless the bike came equiped with then. They may overheat you rotors and warp them.