How reliable is the drum brake shoe wear indicator?

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
09 Nov 2005 18:11 #7422 by savedrider
Can this be trusted or is it better to pull the shoes and measure with a caliper?

Thanks

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2005 18:40 #7428 by Salvy
In theory it's pretty darn good. A direct link to the brake shoes.

Problem is that it has to be set properly when the brake shoes are installed. You can put that needle anywhere when the rear hub is disassembled.

So - it depends on the reliability of whomever last serviced the brakes.

-S

More
09 Nov 2005 18:52 #7432 by jenshhj
Given a couple of decades of use and previous owners' disassemblies - consider the indicator to be useless - have a look yourself!

More
09 Nov 2005 19:21 #7435 by RonKZ650
Like salvy said, it's a very good indicator if it hasn't been fooled with on its positioning. Thing is, it really is not that necessary to even have, since rear tires wear out at the rate of one every 5-10,000 miles just look at the brakes every time you change tires. The pads last a good long time, normally well over 60,000 miles even with a lot of stop/go. At least my experience anyway.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
10 Nov 2005 17:53 #7622 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic How reliable is the drum brake shoe wear indicator?
As the needle can be repositioned to the wrong place, it is an unreliable method of gauging brake wear. I know of one person who move the needle to get the bike to go through an inspection. The bike was previously failed as the needle showed full wear...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
10 Nov 2005 18:03 #7624 by savedrider
Will the shoes give you any sign of being close to worn out such as screeching? Or maybe it's too late and you are scoring the drum by that time.

More
10 Nov 2005 19:09 #7631 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic How reliable is the drum brake shoe wear indicator?
I've never taken any down that far - in all the bikes I've seen, I've never had one where the shoes are totally gone...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
10 Nov 2005 19:41 #7638 by savedrider
Wow, it sounds like they really do last a long time. I'm not going to worry much about mine then until the next time I have the wheel off.

Thanks

Post edited by: savedrider, at: 2005/11/10 22:42

More
10 Nov 2005 19:53 #7641 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic How reliable is the drum brake shoe wear indicator?
For the little time it takes to do a tear down aan physically look at them so you know for sure their condition, just the peace of mind would be worth it. We all try to get our bikes to run faster seems to me we would want them to slow down just as fast and know we are safe.
Ride safe,
Les

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.