hot brakes

More
29 Aug 2006 20:36 #73339 by cableman30
hot brakes was created by cableman30
i have a 1978 kz1000, the guy i bought it from rebuilt it from ground up, now my problem is the rear disc is getting hot after a ride, there is no dragging, i lift the bike up and the wheel rolls free, it gets hot to the touch after a 5 mile ride, i rebuilt the caliper, didnt change out the pads cause they looked ok. i dont know if it matters but my wheels and calipers came off of a kz650, but i have a buddy that has a kz1000 like mine and the rear brake set up is exactley the same, im confused and scared im going to do damage to the bike, the wheel is also straight,my wheel also has no play in it(side to side), now that im typing this, im thinking could i have some play in the swingarm? and could this cause this, thanks everyone, and are any of my fellow kz riders in wa sate?

Thanks,
Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
29 Aug 2006 21:59 #73348 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic hot brakes
cableman30 wrote:

i have a 1978 kz1000, the guy i bought it from rebuilt it from ground up, now my problem is the rear disc is getting hot after a ride, there is no dragging, i lift the bike up and the wheel rolls free, it gets hot to the touch after a 5 mile ride, i rebuilt the caliper, didnt change out the pads cause they looked ok. i dont know if it matters but my wheels and calipers came off of a kz650, but i have a buddy that has a kz1000 like mine and the rear brake set up is exactley the same, im confused and scared im going to do damage to the bike, the wheel is also straight,my wheel also has no play in it(side to side), now that im typing this, im thinking could i have some play in the swingarm? and could this cause this, thanks everyone, and are any of my fellow kz riders in wa sate?

Thanks,play in swingarm pivot shouldnt affect brake rotor.is it getting hotter than front rotor?you are going to pick up a little heat from the wheel bearings which could be radiating out from hub through rotor,if you are sure the brakes arent dragging and the brake fluid looks clean i wouldnt worry too much as long as the brake works.
Ben

;)

More
29 Aug 2006 23:08 #73351 by steell
Replied by steell on topic hot brakes

i dont know if it matters but my wheels and calipers came off of a kz650, but i have a buddy that has a kz1000 like mine and the rear brake set up is exactley the same,

That's interesting as the KZ650 rear wheel uses a smaller axle than the KZ1000 (front axles are the same size). Since you say you have the original 1000 rear brake, I'm wondering if the person that did the swap used the 1000 caliper mount on the 650 axle.
That would allow the caliper to move from side to side and cause it to rub continously, thus causing it to get hot.

Geab the caliper (when it's cold obviously) and see if you can lift it up a little, or move it side to side. If you can, then that might be the problem.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/08/30 02:09

KD9JUR