Rear caliper not releasing

More
29 Aug 2006 14:29 #73255 by vanlagan
Replied by vanlagan on topic Rear caliper not releasing-FIXED
Thanks All,
It was indeed the tiny little hole that Terry refered to
as the "Spooge" hole. I got a very thin piece of wire and it sure enough wouldn't go through without a little persuassion. I pumped it for about 5 minutes straight (after a good bleeding) and it turns freely.
Thanks again,
Thom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2006 14:32 #73256 by vanlagan
Replied by vanlagan on topic Rear caliper not releasing-FIXED
Thanks All,
It was indeed the tiny little hole that Terry refered to
as the "Spooge" hole. I got a very thin piece of wire and it sure enough wouldn't go through without a little persuassion. I pumped it for about 5 minutes straight (after a good bleeding) and it turns freely.
Thanks again,
Thom

More
23 Sep 2009 13:19 #323521 by tommyp76
Replied by tommyp76 on topic Rear caliper not releasing-FIXED
Bringing an oldie back from the dead...

Where exactly is this hole you guys are referring to? I'm having the same release problem.

1978 KZ650B

More
23 Sep 2009 14:01 - 23 Sep 2009 14:02 #323528 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Rear caliper not releasing-FIXED
Inside m/c reservoir at the bottom are two holes, one that's relatively larger and easily visible, and another tiny pin prick size hole.

The larger hole provides fluid from the reservoir into the m/c bore for the piston to push against when activating the brake (squeezing the handlebar brake lever or pressing the foot brake lever) by pressuring the hydraulic fluid through the line into the caliper.

The tiny hole allows the in-line pressure to release when the brake lever is released and no longer being squeezed.

If the tiny hole is clogged, the brake may remain activated or partially activated even after the brake lever is released.

Another cause for the rear brake to heat up and grab is sometimes an insufficient gap (free play) between the adjustable external rod that's pushed by the foot brake lever up into the m/c against the m/c piston. Assure there's plenty of gap in this adjustment when rear brake is cool.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Sep 2009 14:02 by Patton.