Rear caliper not releasing

More
26 Aug 2006 18:08 #72709 by vanlagan
Rear caliper not releasing was created by vanlagan
I'm pretty good with brakes but this one has me stumped.
The bike is a 81 KZ750E2. My rear brake caliper releases fine for a while but then starts to hang as I use it. The whole system is "sterile" as far as cleanliness and well bled. When it starts to hang up I can only get it to release by cracking the bleeder valve or purging the system somewhere else as far foward as the banjo fitting at the master cylinder meaning there are no obstuctions from the cylinder to the caliper.The slides are also clean and move freely. When it locks up the brake pedal has no play, it is stiff. So I put it to you guys, any ideas where to go with this one??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
26 Aug 2006 18:39 #72718 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Rear caliper not releasing
disconect the pushrod to mastercylinder from brake pedal.is the pedal binding up when it pivots?shoot some wd-40 or something inside the pivot for brake pedal.if that doesnt help id pull caliper off and check piston and seal,might be some trash in there somewhere.;)

More
27 Aug 2006 05:37 #72752 by vanlagan
Replied by vanlagan on topic Rear caliper not releasing
I've taken the pivot point apart and slathered it with anti-seize, it moves freely. I've shyed away from dis-assembling the caliper but that seems to be the last step I can take.
Thanks for the reply.

More
27 Aug 2006 06:13 #72759 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Rear caliper not releasing
Since you can open the bleeder valve and the caliper will then retract normally, that kinda eliminates the caliper as the source of the problem. :)

According to your description of the problem, and the steps you have taken, the logical conclusion is a problem with the master cylinder, something in the master cylinder is not allowing the fluid to return.

My guess is that you either still have air in the system, or the piston in the master cylinder is sticking. Based on the symptoms you describe, I think air in the system is the likely culprit.

Do a search of the archives and look at the number of people that have sworn that there was no way there could be air in the system after they have repeatedly bled the brakes, and later admitted that was indeed the problem :)

KD9JUR

More
27 Aug 2006 08:15 #72770 by vanlagan
I hear what your saying. I think I'll try the endless bleed where you run a hose from the bleeder back to the resevour. Beats the hell out of taking the caliper apart. I'm 99 9/10% sure the piston in the master is sliding freely.
Thanks

More
27 Aug 2006 12:03 #72809 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic Rear caliper not releasing
did you clean out the spooge hole in the master cylinder? that cased the same problem in my yamaha. you just have to clear it out with a paper clip

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
27 Aug 2006 13:12 #72824 by vanlagan
There are 2 holes but one looks like it is just an indentation. Should that be open as well?

More
27 Aug 2006 15:41 #72848 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Rear caliper not releasing
btchalice wrote:

did you clean out the spooge hole in the master cylinder? that cased the same problem in my yamaha. you just have to clear it out with a paper clip

terry?? is that a technical name??? spooge??...steve

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
27 Aug 2006 16:44 #72856 by mykznme
Replied by mykznme on topic Rear caliper not releasing
fixer5000 wrote:

btchalice wrote:

terry?? is that a technical name??? spooge??...steve

yup, the spooge hole is right next to the whowhutsit,right below the thingamajig:lol:

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

More
28 Aug 2006 17:16 #73050 by vanlagan
I'm glad we're having fun with Terry's Spooge Hole remark but..... should that indentation be an open hole?
Thanks,
Thom

More
28 Aug 2006 18:42 #73085 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic Rear caliper not releasing
The answer is YES. It is a VERY small hole. You will need to use a small stiff wire (guitar string?) to open it up. And yes, it can cause the problem you have mentioned. I made the mistake of drilling mine open too large, and that will give you poor soft braking feel.
/

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
29 Aug 2006 07:02 #73173 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic Rear caliper not releasing
One possibility, if you have adjusted the rear brake linkage from the brake pedal to the master cylinder is that you have compressed the brake master cylinder to where it stays past the "spooge hole" and does not allow the pressure in the brake line to bleed off when you take your foot off the pedal...

I've seen it before, if people really try and adjust their brake to be super-sensitive.