Bar replacement issues

More
26 Aug 2006 10:32 #72646 by Robjb84
Bar replacement issues was created by Robjb84
Hey guys, I ended up getting Superbike bars for my 440 LTD. Got my old bars and controls off and put the new ones on, im not up and running yet though... Would appreciate any help some of you vet wrenches can offer me.

Issue 1:

The angle at which my MC is now positioned caused some brake fluid to leak out from the top. Is this going to be a big problem, or do I just use less fluid? :o

Also it seems like my brakes are locked on now..

Issue 2:

Which slot should I put my throttle cable into? :D My bad, I didnt check to see where it came from when I pulled the grip off.

Issue 3:

Assuming there is no problem with my MC being at the angle that it is, what about my brake line itself? If I push the MC all the way on, the hose is going to be horribly kinked...

Well thats about it I think :) Man, so much for a straight forward job eh? :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
26 Aug 2006 10:41 #72647 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Bar replacement issues
Robjb84 wrote:

Issue 1: The angle at which my MC is now positioned...

Issue 2: Which slot should I put my throttle cable into?

Issue 3: ...what about my brake line itself?

1: You must put the correct amount of fluid! You *may* need to get a different kind of MC, one that is designed to sit that way. The part about them being stuck on is a totally different problem. Also, it shouldn't leak no matter what angle it's at...

2: Just twist the throttle and look at which one gets pulled. The "pull" cable goes there, the "push" cable goes in the other one. Watch the carb to sure it's opening when connected.

3: Yeah, you will probably need to replace your brake line, and perhaps be mindful of the banjo bolt angle. When I went to superbike bars I just re-routed my brke line but it had too many tight bends for those old lines. I re-did it with stainless braided as soon as I could. You might have to do it straight away...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
26 Aug 2006 10:57 #72649 by Robjb84
Replied by Robjb84 on topic Bar replacement issues
Thanks bique, so I guess I must need a new MC and brake hose :(

As for the throttle, there is only one cable but two slots in the throttle handle, i can play with that though, not a problem.

Something msut have happened with the brakes because I cannot move the bike forward in neutral now. :/ again, not much of an issue if I have to replace the MC anyway ;)

Is there a big difference in MCs on these Kwakas? i.e. do I specifically need a 440 one, or are they pretty much the same on all of these bikes?

Post edited by: Robjb84, at: 2006/08/26 13:59

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
26 Aug 2006 12:10 #72655 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Bar replacement issues
Robjb84 wrote:

...so I guess I must need a new MC and brake hose...

...there is only one cable but two slots in the throttle handle...

...I cannot move the bike forward in neutral now...

...do I specifically need a 440 one, or are they pretty much the same on all of these bikes?

I *do* encourage replacing the line, but maybe not the MC - that one's up to you. You might be able to continue using the MC you have, only that you have to be more careful filling it, always with the bike in such a position to get a good level. Remember, it *should not leak* even tilted. So check the seal on the cover!

Sounds like you're missing a throttle cable. Kaws have 2, a "pull" and a "push". Not that you *need* the "push", per se, just letting you know... it's just a safety cable...

You have brake problems. You need to check it completely over, perhaps the caliper is frozen!

As for which MC to use, that's where I cannot help. I have read some threads in the past about which MC is best in that situation, so I suggest you search here and in the archive...

Good luck!

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2006/08/26 15:11

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
26 Aug 2006 12:40 #72658 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Bar replacement issues
The 440 only has a "Pull" throttle cable. The spring on the carbs does the return work.
Getting rid of the LTD 'antler' handle bars can be alot of work, thats why they are still on my 750:S

More
26 Aug 2006 12:57 #72659 by Robjb84
Thanks Nevco, was worried I was missing somethere there :o

Yeah you arent kidding about the work involved... I went out there fully expecting this to be easy as pie and to be done and able to test it out in minutes... *sigh*

I also see im going to have to drill a small hole into the new handlebars since the ignition switch assembly has a little peg that prevents it from closing around the handlebars unless said peg can fit into a little hole.

More
26 Aug 2006 13:34 #72660 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Bar replacement issues
Robjb84 wrote:

Yeah you arent kidding about the work involved... I went out there fully expecting this to be easy as pie and to be done and able to test it out in minutes... *sigh*quote]

:laugh: That NEVER happens!!:laugh: You should plan on a project like that taking about 3 full days. Then if it only takes 2 days, you can feel pretty special!

That little peg on the brake lever mount is to keep everything aligned properly. Make sure you have the bars and brake set where you want them before drilling.

More
26 Aug 2006 14:09 #72666 by Robjb84
Yeah i know, I know, quite naive of me :D

Though with all of my research on these forums all I found were people reporting that they had just done the handlebar swap, kept all of the same cables and were pretty much trouble free :o

More
26 Aug 2006 15:43 #72679 by Robjb84
Actually I went outside again, and was able to move the MC further down the bar. The hose is kind of twisty, but I dont know that its kinked as such... Does anyone have any experience with the same MC as me?

Will having it tilted at an angle cause problems? (other than some brake fluid leaking out at present)

Im thinking maybe I could keep this one on there if I can make sure no fluid leaks out...

More
27 Aug 2006 15:59 #72851 by Robjb84
Not sure what happened exactly, I was wrong in thinking my front caliper locked up, I kept trying to inch the bike forward and the rear wheel would skid forward a little. Eventually it kind of broke free, so really not sure what was stopping that rear wheel from moving.

Anyway bars are on, had to drill a hole in bar for my right hand controls, other than that though mostly everything is looking good. Im going to split into another thread with some questions about the master cylinder. Just wanted to post this as some kind of closure for anyone else that does the bar replacement.

Minus my in-experience, it really is very straight forward.

More
27 Aug 2006 18:01 #72866 by kztee
Replied by kztee on topic Bar replacement issues
I recently did this exact same thing with my '80 750 LTD. Hated the high, pull back bars. I got a set of superbike bars, pulled off the old bars, swapped in the new and swapped all the equipment. Mine didn't have the little peg so everything went on very smooth. My MC appears to be at about the same angle as yours in your pic and I have not had any issues at all. Been riding this way for a couple months now. My only other issue is whether or not I should replace to long cables. THe cluth and throttle cables stick out but they are working fine so I haven't replaced them yet.

1977 KZ 1000A - Currently rebuilding
1980 KZ 750 LTD - Mostly stock daily rider
1979 KZ 1000 LTD - Parts bike and/or future project
1979 KZ 1000 ST
1980 GS 750 L
2003 ZRX 1200 R

More
27 Aug 2006 18:39 - 03 Dec 2008 17:47 #72868 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 17:47 by JMKZHI.