converting from chain to shaft

• pstrbrc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
26 Aug 2006 09:34 #72644 by pstrbrc
converting from chain to shaft was created by pstrbrc
A friend and I were bench cruising (not bench racing!) and we got into talking about what would be involved in converting a kz1000 police bike to shaft drive. Is it possible? How many parts need to change?
Bruce
'81 GPz
Elkhart, Kansas

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
26 Aug 2006 11:44 #72652 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic converting from chain to shaft
i think id just buy a shaft drive bike,much easier!:P

More
26 Aug 2006 18:33 #72714 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic converting from chain to shaft
Like wireman said. It can be done but why? Anyway, you will need a shaft motor (79-80), swingarm, rear wheel and probably a bunch more stuff.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
26 Aug 2006 19:50 #72729 by bob_z1
Replied by bob_z1 on topic converting from chain to shaft
I'm not familiar with the police bike frames, but the KZ1000Shaft frame is about 2" wider where the swingarm pivots than a standard KZ1000 is in that area.

`

More
26 Aug 2006 21:56 #72737 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic converting from chain to shaft
Woops I guess that wuold put a kink into the plan! :ohmy:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• pstrbrc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
27 Aug 2006 07:02 #72764 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic converting from chain to shaft
Thanks for that last info! Glad somebody knew that before we started tearing his bike up and rounding up parts! :unsure:
I'm learning late in life that a stupid idea is only stupid if you go ahead and do it without asking if anybody else has tried.

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
27 Aug 2006 19:26 #72894 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic converting from chain to shaft
The main problems would be that the shafty swingarm doesn't have an "axle" running through it like on the cop bike. There are two small shafts on each side that pivot on needle bearings. In order to use the swingarm off a shafty you would have to weld and drill the frame on the cop bike and I think this wold be pretty much precision work as these pivot mechanisms are pretty complex work. The shafty swingarm integrates a tube for the drive shaft and bolts to the rear drive unit. You would have to use an ST engine that mounts differently than an 82-05 cop bike engine and would require some serious welding on the cop bike frame to get the motor mounts located.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
27 Aug 2006 20:50 #72907 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic converting from chain to shaft
wiredgeorge wrote:

The main problems would be that the shafty swingarm doesn't have an "axle" running through it like on the cop bike. There are two small shafts on each side that pivot on needle bearings. In order to use the swingarm off a shafty you would have to weld and drill the frame on the cop bike and I think this wold be pretty much precision work as these pivot mechanisms are pretty complex work. The shafty swingarm integrates a tube for the drive shaft and bolts to the rear drive unit. You would have to use an ST engine that mounts differently than an 82-05 cop bike engine and would require some serious welding on the cop bike frame to get the motor mounts located.....

...you'll also need to shim the driveshaft properly so you don't end up with vibration issues and possibly engine/final drive damage.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ