Lowering the Bike

More
25 Aug 2006 21:05 #72552 by 78kz1
Lowering the Bike was created by 78kz1
Ok, I know this has been asked a bunch, but I'd like the latest info on lowering my bike - 1978 KZ1000, chain drive. If I go the LTD wheels, will most years around 1978 fit? I've also seen something about using sportser shocks instead of changing the wheels? Whats the story with that? As far as the front end goes, is it a big deal to slide the forks up in the tree? I looked at that, and can't really tell what is being moved. Help me out guys, i'm another vertically challenged KZ owner:)

Post edited by: 78kz1, at: 2006/08/26 00:06

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Aug 2006 21:18 #72555 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Lowering the Bike
you can lower rear with short shocks raising fork tubes up in triple trees will lower front,but dont lower front more than rear of bike.
Attachments:

More
26 Aug 2006 14:29 #72669 by vanlagan
Replied by vanlagan on topic Lowering the Bike
I'll be watching this thread closely. I have an 81 KZ750 that I need to bring down some for my vertically challenged wife. I'd like to find a seat for it and try shaving it down a few inches. The seat that is on it is original and perfect so I'd like to find another to chop down incase it doen't work out well.

More
26 Aug 2006 18:29 #72711 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Lowering the Bike
after you lower the rear of the bike (dont lower front more than rear or it wont be stable at high speed) you just have to loosen the 2 bolts in the triple trees (2 for each side/fork) very slowly, and gravity will do the work for you. let the forks slide up to the desired position, and tighten the bolts again. just measure the amount sticking up past the top triple and make sure its the same on each side.B)
as to shaving the seat down, check out this

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
26 Aug 2006 18:31 #72713 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Lowering the Bike
On my 78 1000 I have a set of lowering tubes that go inside the forks and the brackets that move the bottom of the shock back for the rear. When you go down a couple of inches, you will need to watch out for exhaust clearence and you will have to shorten your kickstand. BTW I'm switching back to spoke wheels and will need to get rid of my ltd mags. If you can hold out for a month or so they are yours for shipping. Also if you need a dual front disc line splitter I need a single so how about a trade?

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
27 Aug 2006 07:38 #72767 by 78kz1
Replied by 78kz1 on topic Lowering the Bike
I'd be interested in the trade, stay in touch and let me know when you are ready.

More
27 Aug 2006 12:04 #72810 by donthekawguy
Cool. I already won the rear wheel off ebay and I'm bidding on a front today. The rear wheel might take a bit longer as I need a new swingarm. The wheels might cost a bunch to ship but they are in good shape. They are painted kinda of a goldish color and I can also send the rear caliper and M/C and a front caliper with a Russel braided line. I'm going to be running a single front disc and no rear brake so your welcome to all the parts I'm taking off.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• wireman
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2006 15:15 #72843 by wireman
donthekawguy wrote:

Cool. I already won the rear wheel off ebay and I'm bidding on a front today. The rear wheel might take a bit longer as I need a new swingarm. The wheels might cost a bunch to ship but they are in good shape. They are painted kinda of a goldish color and I can also send the rear caliper and M/C and a front caliper with a Russel braided line. I'm going to be running a single front disc and no rear brake so your welcome to all the parts I'm taking off.

no rear brake?:sick: :ohmy: :blink: :( :unsure: :S :dry: :huh: :P Kamikaze,japanese suicide plane or motorcycle the motorcycle version was loaded with fuel and only front brakes,riders were volunteers ....:S

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/08/27 18:26

More
29 Aug 2006 05:49 #73156 by donthekawguy
The track up here has a reallllllly long shut down area so I won't need the rear. The wheel I just won off ebay has a drum brake that is stripped down so if I need to I'll put it back together or buy a new hub for it. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. i don't plan on being in the 9's for another year so it should be ok for next year. I hope! :woohoo:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• wireman
  • Visitor
29 Aug 2006 10:21 #73204 by wireman
will you pass tech with no rear brake?:whistle:

More
29 Aug 2006 18:12 #73301 by thetemples
Replied by thetemples on topic Lowering the Bike
Mine was lowered by drilling new holes in the calfab swing arm and moving the rear shock mount back.

The front fork srings were cut (internally)

Pic

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...&func=detail&id=1429

More
29 Aug 2006 18:34 #73308 by donthekawguy
wireman wrote:

will you pass tech with no rear brake?:whistle:

For the Friday night races they really don't look at the bikes too much. They are more concerned about having leathers and boots more than anything. If I have to I could rig it up to make it look like they work. ;)

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125