5/8 Offset Sprocket close to frame.

More
04 Aug 2006 13:27 #67150 by Turtle
5/8 Offset Sprocket close to frame. was created by Turtle
Finally got a 5/8 offset sprocket for my 1980 KZ 1000 MKII. Running a Zephyr swingarm, and a ZX-11 wheel with a 180/55/17 tire.

The chain is very close to the frame. Does not look like it's going to work. Anybody else have this problem? What kind of chain to frame clearance do I need?

I am running a 530 chain, which I thought was supposed to be smaller than a 630 chain. The original 630 chain measures 7/8" at the widest point (at the roller pin), and my 530 chain measures 1". Does this seem right? I did buy a cheap 530 chain, but It fits the sprockets fine. I bought it on Ebay, it's a KMC 530 O-Ring chain. Here is chain I purchased cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...57781&category=35600

Chain lines up nicely with the sprockets, and I have a 1/2 inch clearance from the chain to the tire. It seems that a 3/8 offset would fit better.

1980 KZ 1000 A4 with 750 Zephyr swing arm and ZX-9 rear wheel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2006 18:25 #67195 by Turtle
Replied by Turtle on topic 5/8 Offset Sprocket close to frame.
Here's what I found out:

Chain Type & Size

630 & 530 chain, what does it mean?

Chain type and size.
Chain comes in a variety of pitches and widths. It is crucial to select the correct chain and sprockets for your bike.

The first number of the chain designates the chain pitch and represents the distance between each pin in eighths (1/8) of an inch.

630 chain is 3/4" pitch (or think of it as 6/8"), 530 chain is 5/8" pitch - so if you are not sure what size chain you have on your bike, just measure the pin-to-pin distance.

The second two numbers show the width of the roller section of the chain in eighth's of an inch with an assumed decimal point between the numbers. So 630 chain is 3/8" wide and 525 chain is 5/16" wide (2.5 eighths).

520 5/8 inch pitch, 1/4 inch wide
525 5/8 inch pitch, 5/16 inch wide
530 5/8 inch pitch, 3/8 inch wide
630 3/4 inch pitch, 3/8 inch wide

O-Ring versus Non-O-Ring chain

The O ring in modern motorcycle chains protect the chain from moisture and dirt - both of which contribute to rapid chain wear.

The O-Ring style chains now come with a variety of different shaped O-Rings to provide more protection - The following chart from RK Excel shows the different shape O-Rings used in chains today - the X and W profile O-Rings trap lubricating grease and help provide protection.

There are several small disadvantages of the O-Ring chains:
- The total width of the chain is greater than non-O ring chain - the presence of the O rings spaces out the side plates and requires longer pins - this adds to the weight of the chain and can require spacers to ensure the wider chain clears the engine cases..
- The O rings create a small amount of drag on the chain that results in a minor performance loss at the rear wheel.

The big advantage of O ring chain is the greatly improved life of the chain - often doubling or tripling the life of the chain and sprockets over an equivalent non-O ring chain and sprockets. You do still need to use a chain lubricant on the chain. Match the chain lube to the type of chain.

So anyone out there with a 5/8 offset sprocket: Are you running a non o-ring chain?

Thanks

More
04 Aug 2006 21:06 #67227 by rattler
Replied by rattler on topic 5/8 Offset Sprocket close to frame.
i am running a 5/8 offset sprocket in the 530 pitch on my 1000 with a 5.5 rear tire with out frame issues. were exactly dose it look like you are going to be hitting at? i had to gut the metal meshing inside the clutch front sprocket cover and do some ginding down so the chain had enough room.

can you get a pic of were you need clearance and i will help as much as poss.

More
04 Aug 2006 21:26 #67231 by rattler
yep the oil ring chains are wider. i am running a d.i.d. o-ring chain and still got room. as for using a 3/8 i would stick to the 5/8 offset. you want you chain to be as straight as poss. 1-2 mm off you can deal with. but if you run a string on fishing line from the front sprocket to the back using the 3/8 offset you will see that the chain isnt going to run true. i even had to filp the back sprocket backwards to get it like perfect.

some people say dont run the 5/8 offset sprocket with out a bearing support. i do . when i got my offset sprocket from schnitz i took it to a machine shop. the center of the sprocket were the teeth grip the output was wider than the teeth on the output shaft its self. the course area of the sprocket had teeth overhanging the course area on the shaft by almost a 1/4 inch. i had the inside of the offset sprocket milled down to the exact size as the stock one so the was no overhang. it took quite a bit of weight off to.

More
04 Aug 2006 21:46 #67236 by Turtle
It's barely got any clearance on the outboard side of the chain at both down tubes of the frame where the chain goes through.

The chain looks really straight, and the rear wheel alignment is right on. Wondering if there is a difference in my chain (530 0-ring)width vs. most others, mine is 1" wide at the widest part, and my non o-ring 630 is 7/8". Anybody running a 5.5" wide wheel and a 5/8 offset sprocket care to measure the width of their chain?

I may have to buy a 3/8 offset sprocket, or just a narrower chain. Or both, a 1/4 offset difference will only give me 1/8" of clearance between the chain and the frame.

I do not have a digital camera at this time, will try to get pics up Monday.

Thanks for any help.

More
04 Aug 2006 21:55 #67238 by rattler
give me a min to finish eating dinner and i will measure it for you . my bikes in the livingroom anyway.

More
04 Aug 2006 22:12 #67240 by rattler
my 530 chain is 1' inch from widest point to widest point also. and i know what down tubes you are talking about i was worried about the same thing as you are when i started my streetfighter project. i have between 1/8" to 3/16" from frame to chain. if you went with a non o-ring you will gain a little but not much. there is no need as i have been running that way for a while now with no problems. you should not have more than a few mm side to side motion with the chain on the sprockets in the first place. im 99.9 percent sure. i even went and checked what the measurements would be on my mkii dragframe on the front porch. i plan on doing the same thing to the mkii this winter also. Stick with the 5/8's and the 530 chain.... hope that helps some. if my usb ports were not screwed i would snap a pic to show you.

Post edited by: rattler, at: 2006/08/05 01:13

More
05 Aug 2006 05:18 #67255 by Turtle
Thanks for all your help Rattler.

I'm in mock up mode and have not cut the chain yet (was worried I might have o sell it). So maybe after I have the chain installed as normal I will be fine.

I was just mounting chain on sprockets and pulling tight with the rear wheel to see where I would be at. But maybe with the chain put together and fully tightend I will be fine.

I'll get it together and post on Monday.

Going up to the north shore (MN Arrowhead) this morning on the Harley. Maybe I'll get it together Sunday night.

Have a great weekend!

More
05 Aug 2006 08:11 #67273 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic 5/8 Offset Sprocket close to frame.
My 5/8" sprocket runs extremely close to the frame on mine. I have heard about people taking the swingarm off and heating the frame where the chain rubs and then hitting those areas with a hammer to dent the frame just enough for clearance. Its not suppose to weaken the frame enough to notice. You might try that since you're in the mock-up stage. Just a thought.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
05 Aug 2006 08:19 #67277 by CTSZ1
Replied by CTSZ1 on topic 5/8 Offset Sprocket close to frame.
I'd be careful heating the frame hot enough to make it easier to deform with a hammer. That amount of heat will change the metallurgical properties of the steel. Might not cause a problem, but the emphasis is on "might".

More
05 Aug 2006 08:20 #67278 by CTSZ1
Replied by CTSZ1 on topic 5/8 Offset Sprocket close to frame.
I'd be careful heating the frame hot enough to make it easier to deform with a hammer. That amount of heat will change the metallurgical properties of the steel. Might not cause a problem, but the emphasis is on "might".

More
05 Aug 2006 10:59 #67298 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic 5/8 Offset Sprocket close to frame.
I did that with my Z1000J when I uni-tracked it 20 years ago. It's still running...

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com