Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Anyone got a part # for wheel bearing seals? 02 Aug 2006 13:45 #66731

• AzKZ650
  • AzKZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I finally have both my new wheels mounted and figured I should repack the bearings while I have the tires off the bike, but I dinged the front oil seal taking it out :blush:. Does anyone have a # for replacement seal ? I tried buykawasaki.com number: 654a254008, doesn't work at napa or advance auto, neither does the number on the seal: PJN 25 40 8
If I just replace the bearings with sealed bearings would I even have to use/replace the seals?
I haven't done the rear wheel bearings yet, but I figure it will be the same situation.

Thanks-Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone got a part # for wheel bearing seals? 02 Aug 2006 17:08 #66770

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I couldn't find that number on my cross reference software. But the number 25408 is the seal size. 25mm i.d. x 40mm o.d. x 8mm thick.
PJN may be a manufacturer. Can't guess at 654a. 30 years ago those numbers meant something, but now they may have all new id's for seals. I would guess again that any oil seal with those measurements will work fine...If you have a bearing house in your area go there. If you have the seal take it with you. I'm guessing the seal isn't critical, if you use sealed bearings there. If the seal isn't really torn up, reuse it with sealed bearings.

Check this seal out, www.afmusa.com/doc_generator.asp?doc_id=979&attr_index_id=7227

Go here too www.allballsracing.com and look for the bearing /seal kits. About $13 bucks for your front wheel.
Oh yes, the rear wheel will be the same.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/08/02 20:15

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/08/02 20:44
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Anyone got a part # for wheel bearing seals? 02 Aug 2006 19:08 #66809

• AzKZ650
  • AzKZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Kent, I ended up getting a set of sealed bearings from napa and reusing the old seal, it should be good enough to last a few months and I'll worry about it over winter.
This front tires been a nightmare. It was a pain getting the axle out, then when I removed the bolts holding the discs on the bolts were covered in white gunk, I'm assuming its thread sealing tape, thats what the PO used to hold the mirrors on :pinch: . Then the seal. Start putting it back together and the right side goes together fine but the left sides bolts keep spinning, tap them and run to the store and get some bolts just a little bit longer, never paying attention to the fact that the head of the bolts are almost twice the size of the old bolts.....So I hope 8.8 bolts are ok and I hope it doesn't matter that the heads of the bolts are bigger (the double lock-nuts still worked). I think next time I'm just taking the bike in and letting the shop change the tire, doing it myself to save money is gonna bankrupt me :pinch:

"New" axle off ebay $9.99 + shipping
2 New bearings $10.99 apiece
4 New bolts $1.60 apiece
Gas running to the store multiple times $10-$20 :sick:
Worrying if my new tire is gonna fly off the bike = Priceless :dry: :huh: :blink: :pinch: :S :unsure: :(

Seriously though, Thanks for the help Kent. Now I think I'm gonna go have a beer :woohoo:

Post edited by: AzKZ650, at: 2006/08/02 22:10

• Page: