TOPIC:

question about 530 chain swap 02 Aug 2006 09:19 #66654

• pstrbrc
  • pstrbrc's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
Questions, I've got questions!
The bike is an '81 GPz that has sat for 16 years, and it's going to take a lot of work. One of the things it needs is new chain and rear sprocket. So, what's the deal with swapping out my 630 for a 530? Is it just as strong? Will it wear as well? Do I have better choices of sprockets/ratios? Where do I get the pieces/parts?
Bruce
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

question about 530 chain swap 02 Aug 2006 09:34 #66662

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117
Bruce,

When you swap out to a 530 chain you only need three items...a 530 front sprocket, 530 rear sprocket and a 530 chain. That's it. As far as your concern about it being strong enough the answer is yes. 'Busa, ZX-14, and and other big bore sport bikes are using 530 chains. Actually I just sold a 530 Tsubaki chain to a customer, at the shop I work at, that had a avg. tensile strength of 10,500 lbs. That's way more than you Gpz needs. If you get an O-ring or X-ring version they'll last quite a while if you keep up on chain maintenance.

You can go to your local shop and order them. If your shop has a decent parts department, ask to look at the Parts Unlimited Street Book VOL 2. There's a section for chains and sprockets. I think JT and/or Sunstar sprockets both offer conversion sprockets. I recommend the RK 530XSO chain. You'll need a "longer" chain that you have with your 630 since the 530 links are shorter. Most of the time a 120 link 530 chain will be long enough without having to cut too much off.

Good luck!
Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

question about 530 chain swap 02 Aug 2006 09:46 #66665

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
If you actually have a local shop that is knowledgable and helpful, then by all means support them and help them stay in business.

If you are like me and live 30 miles from the closest shop, and the employees there can't find their butt using both hands with detailed written instructions and are totally useless, then check out www.z1enterprises.com/ , it has the best prices and service that I have found (and the owner is a member here).

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/08/02 12:47
KD9JUR

question about 530 chain swap 02 Aug 2006 10:05 #66676

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
only 30 miles? Man, that's like just around the corner! In my neck of the woods (or, actually, my spot on the prairie) the nearest bike shop is 102 miles away, and they mostly do 4-wheelers. Nearest GOOD bike shop is 200 miles away in Amarillo.
But, to get back to my question:
Why would I want to convert to a 530 chain? What's the reason people do it? is it because a 530 is cheaper? Quieter? Wears better? Comes in pretty colors?
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

question about 530 chain swap 02 Aug 2006 10:28 #66683

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
Whoa! I went to that z1enterprises websight and found all the answers I needed. Of course, I was joking about the better choice of cool colors for chains, but...
Man, I have been off of motorcycles way too long. You mean people actually pay good money for colored chains? Black always seemed to hide the road grime better! What kind of candya** rides his bike so seldom (or for so few miles) that the chain stays pretty pink clean?
It's enough to give me the willies.
Bruce
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA

• Page: