Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Speedo cable question 27 Jul 2006 09:37 #65151

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • BARNEYHYPHEN's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
1976 Kz900. I think I may have used an incorrect, too short, cable but....Speedo cable broke on Saturday so fitted a new one which has now also broken.

I think the first break was just old age related but the new break may be too short of a cable related.

I did find that when fitting the new cable (the one that just broke, I had to grind about 3/16" off the length of the knurled "nut that attaches the wheel end of the cable to the speedo drive. This was necessary because, without doing so, the "nut" was too long and bottomed out before it snugged the outer cable cover firmly to the speedo drive spigot.

I'm assuming that the outed cable should be a firm/tight fit against the speedo drive spigot, yes?

I've now got a new 34" cable from Jeff so hopefully this will resolve the problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Speedo cable question 27 Jul 2006 10:24 #65158

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
I'm at work, and my bikes at home. I thought I had a picture of everything on that bike, in my files. But I can't find a good shot of the speedo cable.
This one is the best I could do.... Hope it helps.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC
Attachments:

Speedo cable question 27 Jul 2006 14:34 #65231

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
LTDRider, thanks for the reply and picture. Not so much the placement rather the final "feel" of the wheel end of the outer cable is my concern.

My feeling is that the outer cable should be snug and tight up against the speedo drive "spigot" once the knurled "nut" is tightened.

My assumption is that, just like the speedo (upper) end of the outer cable cover, once tightened, there should be no wiggle/play in the lower (wheel) end of the outer cable cover against the speedo drive spigot once the lower nut is tightened. They should feel tight and "locked together. Correct?

Speedo cable question 27 Jul 2006 15:24 #65251

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
BH:
I've only removed my cable once at the wheel, about a year ago.
I'm sure when I re-installed it, that it snugged up tight with no play in the cable, just like it snuggs up on the speedo on the other end.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Speedo cable question 01 Aug 2006 13:31 #66435

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
Fitted the new cable from Jeff this past weekend and have so far put about 80 miles on it. shorter "nut" on the speedo drive end and slightly longer cable. Snugged up tight on both ends from the get go. No problems to report, all looks good. Thanks.

Speedo cable question 02 Aug 2006 07:03 #66614

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
That's good. Of course another thing you have to watch is the angle you set the speedo drive on the front wheel. Pre 1978 with the master cylinder in front of the fork leg the drive points more upward with a shorter cable, 1978-up point backwards with a longer cable that strings around the master cylinder behind the fork leg.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: