Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 23 May 2024 03:57 #899562

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1056
You may be referring to the rim locks?  They were intended to hold the tire from spinning on the rim if you did burn outs.  For those of us who don't do burn outs they are a waste of time, which is probably why the previous owner of your bike took them off.  The front wheel never had them.  I still have mine in place, but only for nostalgia.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rolf1976_KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 23 May 2024 06:45 #899569

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • Rolf1976_KZ900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 147

You may be referring to the rim locks?  They were intended to hold the tire from spinning on the rim if you did burn outs.  For those of us who don't do burn outs they are a waste of time, which is probably why the previous owner of your bike took them off.  The front wheel never had them.  I still have mine in place, but only for nostalgia.

Thanks Hardrockminer
Yes rim locks was the right word .The bike has tubeless tires now so i guess one of PO has taken them off.
I think i will try to get some .

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 23 May 2024 15:32 #899590

• Cra-z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 107
Rimlocks? Well is this a true rimrock or just a stainless steel bolt ground down to look like one? Hmm!

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 23 May 2024 16:20 #899592

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 302
Recently bought a couple rim locks in case I decided to install them with the new tire (but didn't end up using them).  The threaded end in your photo matches the rim locks, so it's a real one or someone went to a LOT of trouble to fool us.   
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 23 May 2024 19:57 #899606

• Cra-z1
  • User
Wrong, its  SS bolt's ground down to fill the hole's. I also grind down the head to get the lowest profile and for the inside of the rim but still won't slid through the hole. You really don't need the rim locks in my opinion, unless you are going to do some burn outs or really be hard on the throttle. I have seen some guys leave them out but don't do anything with the holes and you see the rubber rim protector bulging out. Not good in my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Rolf1976_KZ900

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 23 May 2024 20:38 #899610

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 302
Yup, fooled me!  Very nice job grinding the threaded end down to duplicate the taper on the rim lock!       Had a nagging feeling that was a loaded question...
Of course now I have to do something similar this weekend when I install my new rear tire or I'll notice it every time I walk up to my bike.

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

Last edit: by sf4t7.

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 24 May 2024 00:37 #899615

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User

Wrong, its  SS bolt's ground down to fill the hole's. I also grind down the head to get the lowest profile and for the inside of the rim but still won't slid through the hole. You really don't need the rim locks in my opinion, unless you are going to do some burn outs or really be hard on the throttle. I have seen some guys leave them out but don't do anything with the holes and you see the rubber rim protector bulging out. Not good in my opinion.

Thanks a few days ago when i was checking the oil i also took a pick of the hole in the rim.I put my finger on it and it felt like a soft bulge.Did not think more about it then.I did not understand that that was for the rimlock then ,but I know it is for a rimlock  now. i zoomed in on the hole for the rimlock-bolt  and it has a crack!! not good i think .I dont want a rearwheel blow out
going 100mph .I have experienced that once before about 30 years ago (young and dumb) going alot faster on a fj1100 and it was pure luck i did not get sanded down on the asphalt.The worn rear tire had a 3cm crack first i thougt it was diesel or oil on the higway because the rear suddenly was sliding from side to side and then got exreme rear end fishtailing wobbling then some takslapping .My friend was passenger and i had his legs flying up under my arms =) .
Here is a pick of how the rimlock look and og the hole for rimlock in the rim
Attachments:

Last edit: by Rolf1976_KZ900.

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 24 May 2024 03:58 #899616

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1056
That's an interesting balance weight Cra-Z1.  I've never seen one like it.  Is it adjustable on the spoke?
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 24 May 2024 05:55 #899625

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 686
We've used a short, narrow piece of shiny aluminum HVAC tape on the side of the rim strip that faces the rim to reinforce the rim strip at the rim lock hole.  It also pretty much matches the chrome of the rim.

Curious about the spoke weight too...

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Rolf1976_KZ900

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 24 May 2024 07:59 #899642

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 288

We've used a short, narrow piece of shiny aluminum HVAC tape on the side of the rim strip that faces the rim to reinforce the rim strip at the rim lock hole.  It also pretty much matches the chrome of the rim.

This is exactly what I used on my 77 KZ1000 just a few months ago.

Last edit: by Moose1800.

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 24 May 2024 08:05 #899644

• Cra-z1
  • User
I found those weights on ebay. I kinda like them. they come in several sizes but I have cut the big ones down to get a precise balance. I should look again as im running out

Vintage look tires how are they on road ? 24 May 2024 08:11 #899645

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User
Had another look at the rimlock holes and both are cracked rubber i think that is the rim rubber band.The idea using alu-tape is good i know many use ducktape instead of rim rubberband on moto cross bikes. I think the people that changed the tires last time has used a tube inside the tubeless batlax (i hope =)) I forgot to check the valve today,but as i remember from last time i filled air it is tube type valves. I decided to take a FJ ride today .

Attachments:

Last edit: by Rolf1976_KZ900.