• Page:

TOPIC:

Gs1100 swap gsxr wheel 10 May 2023 16:07 #884500

• chris_heiges
  • chris_heiges's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
2000 kz1000p
I have a gs1100 swing arm that came with the bike but it’s not installed, if I wanted to install say a 2008 ish gsxr rear wheel on that swing arm has anyone done that? Would I be able to use the 2008ish brake caliper? Or does anyone know that it would or would not work for sure before I buy the wheel? 

I’m not on the back end yet but whether or not I can install a newer gsxr wheel on the rear will determine some details on the front that I am working on.
Gloucester Va

2000 KZP
2007 Harley Fatglide

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gs1100 swap gsxr wheel 11 May 2023 05:50 #884511

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1816
I think you will have issues using a GSXR wheel. The later GSXR (K model on) has a bigger diameter hollow axle which will be too big for the GS swingarm (also you may run into alignment issues with a 180 tyre) Your options would probably be a GSXR swingarm as I have used or a 600 Bandit wheel with a 160 tyre (which I am also using) which has the smaller diameter axle. Also I am using the 600 Bandit brake and sprocket carrier

Attachments:

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Gs1100 swap gsxr wheel 11 May 2023 14:20 #884530

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470
I have done many wheel and swing are swaps and anything can be made to fit anything else.
You may have to change wheel bearings etc to allow the use of a smaller spindle to fit the arm.
A 5.5" rim  with 180 tyre will fit the frame but will probably be too wide for the GS swingarm so you may either have to go for a narrower rim or a wider swingarm.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Gs1100 swap gsxr wheel 11 May 2023 16:47 #884536

• Wookie58

I have done many wheel and swing are swaps and anything can be made to fit anything else.
You may have to change wheel bearings etc to allow the use of a smaller spindle to fit the arm.
A 5.5" rim  with 180 tyre will fit the frame but will probably be too wide for the GS swingarm so you may either have to go for a narrower rim or a wider swingarm.
I don't disagree with you Zed, however unless you have access and the skills to do your own machining (which obviously you do) sometimes simple is best. To use the GSXR wheel in the GS swingarm the wheel etc would need to be adapted to come down 10mm on the axle diameter (not impossible) but if he is determined to run the big wheel then a complete GSXR600k1 back end would make sense, with the exception of shock mounts the swingarm is almost bolt in. The KZ inner races and centre tube fit perfectly inside the GSXR inner races and support tube, all that is needed is a 1mm spacer washer either side. Even the stock GSXR dust seals fit perfectly

Attachments:

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Gs1100 swap gsxr wheel 11 May 2023 17:32 #884537

• chris_heiges
  • User
So I’ve got this other swingarm that I’m not sure what it came off of and it has no shock mounts that I can tell. Maybe this one would be a better candidate?
Gloucester Va

2000 KZP
2007 Harley Fatglide
Attachments:

Gs1100 swap gsxr wheel 12 May 2023 17:24 #884568

• chris_heiges
  • User
With the bandit 600 wheel what year did you use? And does the sprocket line up well?

also if this other swing arm is wide enough would the gsxr wheel have sprocket alignment issues?
Gloucester Va

2000 KZP
2007 Harley Fatglide

Last edit: by chris_heiges.

Gs1100 swap gsxr wheel 12 May 2023 18:38 #884569

• chris_heiges
  • User
Lots of searching here and looking at other’s swaps and builds they have done and advice you all have given already. The bandit 600 wheel looks close enough to the style of the newer gsxr wheel to make this work out. Thanks guys

question will a gs1100 axle be the best place to start with? 
Gloucester Va

2000 KZP
2007 Harley Fatglide

Gs1100 swap gsxr wheel 13 May 2023 00:15 #884577

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470
Once you start swapping wheels you are going to have to align the chain and sprockets.
Usually with more modern wheels an offset front sprocket is often needed and very likely the rear sprocket carrier will need shaving to bring the chain run in line.
As an example when fitting a 5.5 inch ZXR750 rim (180 tyre) to a Z900/1000 ( the widest without frame mods )  the front sprocket needs an offset of 5/8ths and the rear carrier shaving by 8mm.
This is to allow the chain to just clear the inside of the frame and the edge of the tyre.
Obviously for this width of rim a wider swingarm needs to be used.
If using a Suzuki GSXR or Bandit arm these are slimmer at the pivot than the KZ frame so they just need spacers to take up the width and the spindle size differences addressing.
You may also have to modify the rear footrest and exhaust mounts as the wider arm is likely fo foul them. 
If you want some pointers and ideas of what you may be getting into have a read through one of my current build threads over on the ZOWNERSGB forum. -
Double the troublezz. AMA style Racecrafters Z1000 and Moriwaki Z1R Turbo. - Z1OwnersClub GB

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Gs1100 swap gsxr wheel 13 May 2023 12:29 #884603

• Wookie58

With the bandit 600 wheel what year did you use? And does the sprocket line up well?

also if this other swing arm is wide enough would the gsxr wheel have sprocket alignment issues?
I think the wheel is a 2001 (just look for one with straight spokes rather than angled which is the earlier wheel) the sprocket carrier will require machining and you will need an off set front sprocket. I think this is the best option with the GS Swingarm if you are running "twin shocks" the GSXR swingarm is not symmetrical so brings additional challenges with shock alignment (I am using mono shock with the GSXR swing arm)
The following user(s) said Thank You: chris_heiges

Gs1100 swap gsxr wheel 13 May 2023 13:39 #884606

• chris_heiges
  • User
So this is where I’m at, gs1100 swing arm, I ordered the bandit 600 wheel(has the straight spokes), and I got a gs1100 axel.

The wheel is coming with the sprocket carrier, not a rotor. My next question.

I have the 2002 brake caliper. I’m not sure what the factory rear rotor size is on the 2002 kzp but do you think it might be possible to keep the kzp caliper and use the bandit rotor if the rotor diameters are close or same? Or should I plan to get the bandit caliper also?
Gloucester Va

2000 KZP
2007 Harley Fatglide

Gs1100 swap gsxr wheel 13 May 2023 14:07 #884608

• Wookie58
I would get the bandit calliper and hanger, life is easier if you use parts that where made to work together 

Gs1100 swap gsxr wheel 14 May 2023 16:35 #884676

• chris_heiges
  • User
So when you say machining off the sprocket carrier wich part of the carrier gets the machining? Could someone post a picture? 
Gloucester Va

2000 KZP
2007 Harley Fatglide

Last edit: by chris_heiges.
  • Page: