Brake lockup

More
21 Feb 2023 15:21 #880593 by Elfarm98648
Brake lockup was created by Elfarm98648
1981 Kawasaki KZ750 H LTD 

I am running a newly rebuilt ZXR1200 master cylinder, stainless steel brake lines, new banjo bolts, newly rebuilt calipers, new FA68 EBC organic pads. 

I started this issue when I was riding up in the mountains with some friends, after coming down the mountain using a bit more brake than I should have, the brakes locked up in the middle of the road. I came to a stop and we had to take 3 grown men to push it out of the road. Once in a safer place to diagnose I saw smoke rising off the calipers and assumes the brakes got too hot for the organic pads that were on it and locked the brakes down. I ended up taking the calipers off and riding the 20 miles in backroads home. After that I rebuilt the whole system, blew out the stainless lines, put a rebuild kit in my master cylinder, replaced seals in both calipers, regreased slides and put in new EBC organic pads. It rides fine for another 500 miles, till today. After a short ride, 15minutes, zipping through the mountains, they tighten up again, not as bad as the first time but it would still not go anywhere. I was by myself luckily I was able to get it off the road. The brakes were definitely hot but should not be anywhere near hot enough to lock up like last time. I’m kinda stumped. After allowing the brakes 5 minutes to cool, they freed up and I was able to ride straight back home with only a rear brake and engine braking. One of my rotors have turned purple around the edges due to the heat. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can’t find any non organic pads that would hold up to heat any better, does anyone know if they make any? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2023 15:25 #880594 by Elfarm98648
Replied by Elfarm98648 on topic Brake lockup
I should  also mention, when it happens the lever gets rock hard in the regular position, like not pulled in. 
After returning home today, I bled new fluid through the entire system and the fluid was honestly very similar to the new DOT3 fluid that I was putting in. 

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
21 Feb 2023 15:41 #880596 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Brake lockup
Looks like one of the tiny release port in the MC is clogged.

• The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
    21 Feb 2023 15:52 #880598 by Wookie58
    Replied by Wookie58 on topic Brake lockup
    My KH400 had the same problem many years ago, I used to carry a spanner to crack the bleed nipple and release the pressure until I got a replacement MC (was my only transport back then)

More
    21 Feb 2023 16:25 #880600 by Nessism
    Replied by Nessism on topic Brake lockup
    I would investigate the blocked port as detailed by Scirocco.  This is a classic issue when the master had crud it in.  Those ports shown are TINY.  

More
    21 Feb 2023 16:48 #880603 by Elfarm98648
    Thank you all, it seems everyone is in agreement that is the issue at hand. I recently rebuilt the master cylinder, cleaned it out good, took a bore brush down it and scrubbed it good and then sprayed it out with brake cleaner. I guess I didn’t get everything out. I’ll post a picture later to ask you all which hole I need to be concerned with, would it damage anything to poke the holes with a pick? 

More
    21 Feb 2023 18:36 - 21 Feb 2023 18:36 #880613 by Elfarm98648
    Here is the photo, one big hole and one small one.
    Attachments:
    Last edit: 21 Feb 2023 18:36 by Elfarm98648.

• Scirocco
    • Premium Member
    • Never change a running system
    More
    21 Feb 2023 20:10 - 21 Feb 2023 20:13 #880615 by Scirocco
    Replied by Scirocco on topic Brake lockup
    The possible tiny clogged hole in question is the tiny black spot. A single string of a wire or tooth brush should fit through the hole.

• Last edit: 21 Feb 2023 20:13 by Scirocco.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Wookie58

More
    22 Feb 2023 08:24 #880633 by F64
    Replied by F64 on topic Brake lockup
    Also check your rotor for warpage since it was overheated.
    Just lay a straight edge across the diameter.

81-KZ440-D2.
    Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
    Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
    LIC, NY