Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Sprockets 78 750B 11 Aug 2022 13:33 #872068

• Peanuthead
  • Peanuthead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
So I got a FREE 78 750B engine, and a TON of free parts, a month ago and I'm tracking down a few missing parts.  One thing I don't have to is a new chain along with a set of sprockets.  Now the stock set up is 16F/38R with a 2.38 ratio,  but the NEW set (actually new in plastic) are 18F/41R with a 2.28 ratio.  I'm not sure if the front sprocket is gonna have the clearance (from what I've been reading its tight) but how much of a difference will these gears actually make with the proper chain?

Thanks in advance y'all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Sprockets 78 750B 11 Aug 2022 14:19 #872071

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
I'm running a 17t front with a 38t rear. definitly chills it out a bit on the highway and is worth the swap. I don't think its possible to fit an 18 on the B model- there is very little clearance with the 17t. However you could remove the sprocket shroud thing and probably could run an 18" but the risk of putting a hole in the cases if the chain comes off is high. also a ton of  grit will find its way to the nuetral switch.  the K model which has a right side actuated clutch can go up to 19t

a 41/18 is a slightly higher ratio than a 38/17. really no reason to go to 41/18 except the chain might wear slightly slower with a 18t front.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

New Sprockets 78 750B 12 Aug 2022 07:21 #872104

• Peanuthead
  • Peanuthead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Cool.  Thanks for the info.  I'm still learning about the KZs and changing sprockets are new to me too.  I'll look into purchasing an 17T.

I'm not 100% convinced that the PO really knew exactly what he was doing when he took the engine out of the frame.  More than likely, I'll sell the 18T sprocket and see if the 41T will fit my 440 (15T/45T).  That would change the gearing from 3.00 to 2.73.  

• Page: