Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Broken Exhaust Stud on KZ440LTD That I Cannot Get Out 31 Jul 2022 17:52 #871415

• Owloeb
  • Owloeb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Left side outer exhaust stud broke off flush/just a little bit recessed on my KZ440LTD and it is whooping my ass hard guys. I tried to shock it out with a hammer and punch to no avail, let in soak in PB Blaster for 3 days before using an EZ-Out, it broke off inside the stud (rest of the EZ-Outs were promptly thrown in the garbage). I tried welding a washer and nut to the end but it would twist off as soon as I put any amount of torque on the bolt. At this point I'm not sure what to do besides taking the head off (which worries me because I'll probably mess something else up as I tend to do) and getting it drilled out or buying a replacement head for possibly the same cost or cheaper and installing it. Thank you all for the help and sagedom, I'm still learning and do not want to make this mistake twice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Broken Exhaust Stud on KZ440LTD That I Cannot Get Out 31 Jul 2022 18:08 #871417

• krazee1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 196
Experience is a very good, although sometimes costly teacher. 

Good luck with your endeavor!

Mike
Former M.E. at Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing, Lincoln, NE
1966 W1 (the Z1 of 1966-50H.P. and 100mph!)
1974 Z1
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900B pile O parts
1980 KZ750E
1980 Honda XL250S (I know, wrong flavor!)

Broken Exhaust Stud on KZ440LTD That I Cannot Get Out 31 Jul 2022 23:09 #871435

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1720

Left side outer exhaust stud broke off flush/just a little bit recessed on my KZ440LTD and it is whooping my ass hard guys. I tried to shock it out with a hammer and punch to no avail, let in soak in PB Blaster for 3 days before using an EZ-Out, it broke off inside the stud (rest of the EZ-Outs were promptly thrown in the garbage). I tried welding a washer and nut to the end but it would twist off as soon as I put any amount of torque on the bolt. At this point I'm not sure what to do besides taking the head off (which worries me because I'll probably mess something else up as I tend to do) and getting it drilled out or buying a replacement head for possibly the same cost or cheaper and installing it. Thank you all for the help and sagedom, I'm still learning and do not want to make this mistake twice.
You will have to remove the head, then look up EDM bolt removal in your area. This process will remove the broken easy out and the remains of the bolt for approx $40

• Page: