Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

front brakes now 13 Jul 2006 17:45 #61792

• freebyrd24
  • freebyrd24's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
just finished the rear brakes, now the front brakes are acting up. i needed to pull the front wheel off to service the tire, i put the wheel back on and walked away. i came back today and spun the front wheel and hit the brake lever and it went right to the throttle grip. but then after a pump or 2 it was back nice and hard.

the brakes work excellent ,should i worry about the brake lever going all the way down? or is it okay since i had the tire off?

also i refilled the master and pumped again and some fluid shot out of the master. should fluid surge up like that while pumping?
- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

front brakes now 13 Jul 2006 18:39 #61799

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
I wouldn't think you should get a giant surge out of the master like that when you pump it with the cap off.

I would bleed the system if it were me. Sounds like you have air in the lines.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

front brakes now 13 Jul 2006 20:57 #61858

• freebyrd24
  • freebyrd24's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
i was bleedin them for a loooong time, probably for 20 mins and still getting air, ill try more tomorrow.
- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

front brakes now 13 Jul 2006 21:53 #61869

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Assuming you spread the pads apart when reinstalling the front wheel, the reason the brake lever felt soft until about the 2nd pump was it took that many pumps to bring the pads back in contact with the rotor - totally normal and nothing to worry about.

To answer your question on the fluid surging from the reservoir, did the fluid level at any time get low enough to allow air into the system?
If not, you're ok.
FWIW, if I drain half of the fluid from the reservoir on my bike it will do the exact same thing yours is doing. At full it won't surge quite as much, I guess since the fluid is thick enough to slow it's flow before it reaches the top. It will make a slight "swirl" in the fluid though, which means that the master cylinder is working as it should.

Oh, and use caution when creating the "brake fluid geyser", as that stuff will to ruin a pretty paint job in nuthin' flat! :ohmy:
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

front brakes now 14 Jul 2006 02:47 #61876

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
i agree with these guys. when you removed the wheel you pushed the pads back into the calipers. as far as the geyser yup i did that a few times when i was bleeding mine too!! just pump a little slower. these things are a pain in the butt to bleed for sure....just keep at it. i ended up using a vacuum pump to finish the job...my hands were gettin tired..ever get out past 495 look me up. steve
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

front brakes now 14 Jul 2006 13:12 #61988

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I had to bleed the clutch on my ZX1100. Itook me 3 hours. Pumped and pumped and pumped and then all with in 5 minutes lever stiffened right up and worked fine.

front brakes now 14 Jul 2006 16:05 #62017

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
As the other guys have pointed out, the pads will normally separate some when you're trying to reinstall the wheel so it takes a couple pumps to move the pads into position. The large surge of fluid back at your master cylinder is normal too. Never pull the brake with the cap off unless you want brake fluid all over everything.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: