Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fork seal removal 19 Jul 2022 00:22 #870600

• Will2000
  • Will2000's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I have a 83 kz1100 and I’m redoing the fork seals but I can’t seem to get the fork seals out. I’ve tried just muscling the upper and lower parts of the forks as well as slamming them apart and tried to pick the old seal out with a screwdriver (carefully as to not scratch the chrome) but nothing seems to work. Any tricks y’all have found to getting stubborn seals out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fork seal removal 19 Jul 2022 01:13 #870603

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
Heat up the the outside of the leg and seal once warm enough they will move, then they should pry out using the correct tool and even a screwdriver, just done a set that had been replaced before by a blind man with a hammer and screwdriver, some should get them done by pet monkey's.

Last edit: by kevski.

Fork seal removal 19 Jul 2022 02:51 #870604

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Are you sure you have removed the retainer clip?

Attachments:

Fork seal removal 19 Jul 2022 04:19 #870608

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
I do it as kevski says...proper tool and a bit of heat if necessary.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Fork seal removal 19 Jul 2022 09:26 #870619

• Will2000
  • User
Haha Yeah I can see where people could get “enthusiastic” with the removals. I’ll give that a try thanks! What type of tool do you mean when you say proper tool, are there specialized seal removers?

Fork seal removal 19 Jul 2022 10:25 #870627

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Fork seal removal 19 Jul 2022 15:48 #870647

• Will2000
  • User

It's called a seal puller.  www.z1enterprises.com/seal-puller-adjustable.html

I checked and it looks like those are a “pickaxe” style ones that I need to take the upper tube out for them to work. Can they be used with both tubes still together? I have to get the seal out to even take them apart. 

Fork seal removal 19 Jul 2022 17:24 #870668

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
I never ever had any problems to remove any kind of oil and dust seals. If the retainer clip #4 and the allen bolt #15 is removed, you could slide hammering the seals easy out with some wags. Before you doing any un-nessesary force, please show us some pics of your problem area.....

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Fork seal removal 19 Jul 2022 17:31 #870670

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
Look at the breakdown Scirocco posted. Did you remove the Allen cap bolt #15 out of the bottom of the lower. It holds the damper rod in which is keeping the upper stantion in the lower. Once you get that #15 bolt out the fork upper and lower will separate. This will allow you to properly remove the seal, clean and rebuild the forks. Remember to also remove the snap ring #4 to get the seal out.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Fork seal removal 20 Jul 2022 13:08 #870729

• Will2000
  • User

Look at the breakdown Scirocco posted. Did you remove the Allen cap bolt #15 out of the bottom of the lower. It holds the damper rod in which is keeping the upper stantion in the lower. Once you get that #15 bolt out the fork upper and lower will separate. This will allow you to properly remove the seal, clean and rebuild the forks. Remember to also remove the snap ring #4 to get the seal out.

Thanks for the help everyone! I completely forgot to take the Allen bolt (duh!). Along with a little persuasion from a blowtorch I was able to complete it! I appreciate everyone helping me out I feel like a monkey with a hammer whenever I work on my bike haha
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

Fork seal removal 20 Jul 2022 13:21 #870730

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1718

Thanks for the help everyone! I completely forgot to take the Allen bolt (duh!). Along with a little persuasion from a blowtorch I was able to complete it! I appreciate everyone helping me out I feel like a monkey with a hammer whenever I work on my bike haha
Happens to us all
Attachments:

• Page: