Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 fork cap removal 06 May 2022 02:22 #866681

• Sdaniels2010
  • Sdaniels2010's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
How difficult should it be to compress the cap to remove the circlip?  I'm holding onto the fork tube (off the bike) but the cap isn't moving...I know there will be tension from the fork spring but I'm wondering if I'm fighting against some corrosion between the cap & fork.
1981 KZ440 A2 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ440 fork cap removal 06 May 2022 05:59 #866684

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
It's probably just stuck from grunge & corrosion. I would put some penetrant on there. spray it in a cup then apply using a dropper or straw. cover the fuel tank & stuff in case it attacks paint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sdaniels2010

KZ440 fork cap removal 06 May 2022 09:28 #866693

• Sdaniels2010
  • User
Gave it another try this morning...I do feel the slightest bit of movement that I didn't yesterday & I think it's enough to get that retainer out.
1981 KZ440 A2 LTD

KZ440 fork cap removal 06 May 2022 22:56 #866713

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 351
Put the fork back in the triple tree and tighten the upper and lower clamp bolts.
I'd use a phillips screwdriver on top of the plug and lightly hit it with a hammer till it unseizes.
I leave the forks in the triple trees when i pull the retaining clip.
Also, I put them back in the triples trees when I'm trying to put the clips back in.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

KZ440 fork cap removal 06 May 2022 23:52 #866715

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Tighten up the upper clamp in driving position is not a good idea, you will give more pressure and binding to plug area. Tighten the fork legs pushed through 2 - 3 inches over the normal riding positon.

Last edit: by Scirocco.

KZ440 fork cap removal 07 May 2022 04:35 #866717

• Sdaniels2010
  • User
Yeah, I figured I'd need to either leave the top clamp loose or move the fork enough to get the cap out of the clamp.  Right now the forks are out of the triples....I get better leverage that way but it won't matter until I can get another pair of hands to remove the circlip once I can get that cap compressed.  I'm guessing I don't need that cap to compress much to get the circlip removed, right?  And do I just use a pic to remove it?
1981 KZ440 A2 LTD

KZ440 fork cap removal 07 May 2022 06:00 #866723

• Sdaniels2010
  • User
Well the cap is compressing now but that bloody circlip is aggravating, just wants to spin when trying to remove with a pic.  I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the circlip with a snap ring?  My wife & I tried removing that joker for a couple of minutes without success...using snap ring pliers would have made this really easy.
1981 KZ440 A2 LTD

Last edit: by Sdaniels2010.

KZ440 fork cap removal 07 May 2022 07:38 #866727

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I've never removed that sort of circlip. my disclaimer. hee. I guess I would try using an awl & pry directly opposite from the gap in the circlip. If possible, maybe clamp something in place to keep the circlip from spinning, like maybe a section of coat hanger bent to fit.  ???  just spit-balling.  In case it needs to be said, wear eye protection in case the circlip goes flying. the fork spring seat could go flying as well & dent your head. ha ha.

KZ440 fork cap removal 07 May 2022 08:41 #866734

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the circlip with a snap ring? 
I don't think the snap ring would be secure.
I believe the groove in the fork tube is round to fit the round clip, and also the cap has a bevel on the top edge to capture the clip.  That's why you need to push the cap down to reveal the clip.  At least that's how it was on the gpz550 I worked that had a similar setup.  

The snap ring certainly wouldn't be captured by the cap, and I suspect the square edge of the snap ring would not hold on to the groove in the fork tube very well.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

KZ440 fork cap removal 07 May 2022 15:08 #866749

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 351
I just use a small sharp pick to get one end out while pushing down on the plug with a screwdriver.
I pull up that end to get the clip out of the groove.
The plug doesn't go down very far. Just enough to fully clear the clip.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

KZ440 fork cap removal 07 May 2022 15:23 #866750

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1783
Could you use a "two legged " puller hooked under the tree to hold the plug down while you concentrate on the clip (would also allow you to release the spring in a controlled way) could also be used to compress the spring for re-assembly ? Something like this

Attachments:

Last edit: by Wookie58.

KZ440 fork cap removal 07 May 2022 15:29 #866751

• Sdaniels2010
  • User

I've never removed that sort of circlip. my disclaimer. hee. I guess I would try using an awl & pry directly opposite from the gap in the circlip. If possible, maybe clamp something in place to keep the circlip from spinning, like maybe a section of coat hanger bent to fit.  ???  just spit-balling.  In case it needs to be said, wear eye protection in case the circlip goes flying. the fork spring seat could go flying as well & dent your head. ha ha.
Well I've already got a couple of dents so I'll take your advice   I like Wookie's idea of the puller that would let me focus on the circlip.  I tried it again this afternoon (wife was out) & I'm getting closer to managing this.  I'm betting once I've done it it'll become second nature.  But for the moment I decided to put her back together & will wait for the replacement forks to arrive...those are the one's that'll be getting torn down anyway.  
1981 KZ440 A2 LTD

• Page: