KZ750N2 rear master cylinder hose to reservoir

• McThing
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
31 Mar 2022 16:03 #864637 by McThing
Hi all,

I just spent a day traveling between auto parts stores, bike shops, and hydraulic parts shops looking to replace the 5”-ish feed line between the reservoir tank and the rear master cylinder on my ‘83 750 Spectre. Besides my local Kawasaki dealer (which can’t get the hose anymore), most of the places had no idea how to help me. Mostly they wanted to sell me 5/16ths fuel line, which was an obvious no go. Finally found one industrial supplier that kindly just gave me a length of steel reinforced, fabric braided line, rated for DOT 3, that is probably usable if I can get hose clamps to compress it but way overkill with an OD of almost 3/4 of an inch. That said, it was all that they had and all my days hunting turned up.

I also spoke to the fitment tech at Galfer with no luck and I do have a call in to BrakeCrafters. Waiting on a call back.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Has anyone found a comparable hose to the stock one?

Thanks,
B

1983 KZ750N2 Spectre
Baltimore, Maryland - USA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2022 16:51 #864639 by TexasKZ
Partzilla still lists that hose for the 2005 KZ1000P, though I do not know if it has the same id.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: McThing

• McThing
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
31 Mar 2022 17:28 #864644 by McThing
Hot d*nm! That looks pretty close. I'm going for it. What could go wrong...? ;-)

Thanks,
B

1983 KZ750N2 Spectre

More
31 Mar 2022 17:54 #864647 by TexasKZ
Partzilla says that the reservoir is the same on both bikes, so the id should be the same. Hopefully the hose is at least as long…..

More
31 Mar 2022 18:16 #864649 by 750 R1
I just went through this with my project, all the hoses i could find were too thick, car related, I stopped off at a hydraulic hose shop just by chance and they had exactly what I wanted, brake fluid rated rubber hose. Worth a shot, I wouldn't have gone in there if I hadn't walked past by chance...
The following user(s) said Thank You: McThing

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
  • McThing
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
31 Mar 2022 21:21 #864656 by McThing
Thanks guys,

I knew there had to be an answer out there. I actually hit three hydraulic shops, a performance racing shop, the local Kawasaki dealer, and two standard auto parts stores today with no luck. 

Should have come here first!

All the best,
B

1983 KZ750N2 Spectre

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
More
01 Apr 2022 06:03 - 01 Apr 2022 10:41 #864661 by Dragbike_Mike
Replied by Dragbike_Mike on topic KZ750N2 rear master cylinder hose to reservoir
B, 

I found that length of the brake reservoir hose that you're looking for.  I had to buy a foot of it for my '80 KZ1000 LTD a while back and had some left over, as I recall.  Let me dig through my stuff and if I can put my hands on it, it yours free for the asking!  I'll PM you a little later today.

Mike

Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.
  • Last edit: 01 Apr 2022 10:41 by Dragbike_Mike. Reason: correct typo and add pic

• McThing
    • Topic Author
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    02 Apr 2022 09:37 #864737 by McThing
    Hey, a couple final things on this,

First, Mike, thank you so much for the offer but I already bit the bullet and ordered a foot from Pegasus. Now we will both have off-cuts for the next guy. :-)

Second, that purchase was to hedge my bet after placing an order for the stock one TexasKZ spotted on Partzilla but I just got the "Backordered (No Current ETA)" notice from them so I'm guessing that stock hose has gone the way of the Dodo.

All the best,
    B

1983 KZ750N2 Spectre

• Dragbike_Mike
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    02 Apr 2022 10:17 #864739 by Dragbike_Mike
    Replied by Dragbike_Mike on topic KZ750N2 rear master cylinder hose to reservoir
    Alright, B, sounds like things are under control with regards to that hose.  Thanks for letting me know and good luck with your project!

Mike

Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
    In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

More
    02 Apr 2022 21:05 #864785 by TexasKZ

Hey, a couple final things on this,

First, Mike, thank you so much for the offer but I already bit the bullet and ordered a foot from Pegasus. Now we will both have off-cuts for the next guy. :-)

Second, that purchase was to hedge my bet after placing an order for the stock one TexasKZ spotted on Partzilla but I just got the "Backordered (No Current ETA)" notice from them so I'm guessing that stock hose has gone the way of the Dodo.

All the best,
    B

Well, crap. I really wish Partzilla would do a better job of making it clear when parts are on back order before submitting e order.