Gearing change

More
30 Mar 2022 19:02 #864580 by Elfarm98648
Replied by Elfarm98648 on topic Gearing change
If you are going to order sprockets, order them off Amazon. God forbid they don’t fit, Z1 enterprise will absolutely not let you return them so you’re stuck with a $20-50 sprocket that is unusable. Amazon will let you return them so I definitely recommend ordering off Amazon. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2022 19:12 #864583 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Gearing change
Be careful what you wish for!  Gear that bike too high and it's going to be a dog off the line and around town.

More
30 Mar 2022 19:42 - 30 Mar 2022 19:59 #864588 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic Gearing change

If you are going to order sprockets, order them off Amazon. God forbid they don’t fit, Z1 enterprise will absolutely not let you return them so you’re stuck with a $20-50 sprocket that is unusable. Amazon will let you return them so I definitely recommend ordering off Amazon. 

You must have sh1t consumer laws in the US, If I order from Australia Z1 enterprises has to refund, or i'll do a paypal stop on the payment until it gets sorted, I've done it only once before but the asshat at the shop had no choice but to refund my purchase, paypal put a stop on his account until he resolved the issue, he couldn't take online orders without paypal....

Edit, actually, if you've bolted on the sprocket, put the chain on it, and then tried it out, I wouldn't attempt to return it as its now used, so I can see why a business wouldn't accept that as a return, Its like taking a bit out of a pie then deciding you don't like it.  Pick wisely
Last edit: 30 Mar 2022 19:59 by 750 R1.

More
30 Mar 2022 20:54 #864595 by Elfarm98648
Replied by Elfarm98648 on topic Gearing change
While this is true, if the gear doesn’t fit it will not work. I agree that if you try it out for a few days and ride around on it it’s used and you shouldn’t be able to return it because of liability, however if you just install it, and it never has any force on it, the engine never starts, and it doesn’t even move before it’s pulled back off, then it’s just bad customer service. 

More
31 Mar 2022 03:58 #864605 by Csr75095
Replied by Csr75095 on topic Gearing change
I want to change the gearing a LITTLE bit only. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to go 100 mph at 3500 rpm. The bikes geared to cruise at 55 which makes sense because it was made at a time when 55 was the us national speed limit. Nowadays if I want to take a trip down the highway, I'm gonna go atleast 65 and at 65 and above, the engine is pretty buzzy. It's a 40 year old bike with a solidly mounted engine. If i can keep the rpms a bit lower then that's gonna be good for me and the bike. If stock is 16/38 then I'd like to do something like 16/34 or 17/38 if the front sprocket has enough room under the cover. Since rear sprockets are so hard to find in anything smaller than 38 I'm just going to order a 17/38 combo and a new chain of course. Im certain a sprocket from some other bike would fit but idk which one and I haven't found a website you can search by sprocket dimensions or I'd have done that already. 

More
13 Apr 2022 05:47 #865334 by Csr75095
Replied by Csr75095 on topic Gearing change
So I got around to changing my chain and sprockets yesterday. I used a 38 tooth rear and a 17 front, both from jt sprockets. As far as performance with new gearing, I like it for the most part. It did calm down the engine around normal highway cruising speed a good bit. 50-60 is the sweet spot where the motor is barely working but I can roll on the throttle in 5th and still pull away no problem. 70 is still pretty buzzy but way more doable than before. With the stock gearing, 70 was really just uncomfortable with the engine really buzzing. I also really haven't noticed a decrease in acceleration though im sure there is some, the bike still has lots of torque. I'd still like a higher gear ratio but I couldn't find any rear sprocket with less than 38 teeth for it so this will do. The quality of the jt sprockets seems just fine though sunstar sprockets seem to be finished a little nicer but I dont really care and am splitting hairs with that. As far as fitment, that 17 tooth barely fits. It's close enough that it just barely rubs the little sheet metal guard bolted to the side of the case underneath the side cover. Im not real happy how close it is but what are you gonna do. I think it'll be fine as it was just barely touching and don't notice any noise and haven't noticed any weird wear on the chain after the 30 or so mile test ride but ill keep an eye on it.