Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Brake Squeal and other Questions 13 Jul 2006 13:26 #61732

• pamrhein
  • pamrhein's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone. I've been a member on the site for a while but this is my first post - Thanks for all the great info. I bought my 77 KZ1000 as a project bike to have fun riding and to learn on since I have no motorcycle mechanical experience - I'm a computer jock by day. Could someone help diagnose a few problems?

1) If i'm cruising at a good speed in 4th or 5th gear and then release the accelerator I hear a clinkety-thunk kind of noise one time coming from below - could that be the chain slipping?

2) Front brakes squeal when stopping. This started little but has become louder over the past month or so. Also, they squeak a bit when pushing the bike to get it in and out of the garage like they might be rubbing or grabbing a bit. I don't notice it otherwise but that's probably because I don't hear it over the sound of the motor. How do I tell if it's time to change the pads, rotor, whatever?!?

The wife says I should take it into the shop but part of the point of the old bike is so I can learn how to fix it! Besides, to my wife I refer to my bike as my "girlfriend" and I don't want anyone else to put there hands on her! But then again, maybe it's too risky for a novice to mess with the brakes...

As I said, I'm a novice in mechanics so any help will be greatly appreciated! - Paul

Stats on the bike: 27,000 miles. To my knowledge this 1977 KZ1000 A1 is mostly stock except for the lower handle bars, 4-1 V&H exhaust, 3" swing arm extension, 3 degree rake increase and the motor was rebuilt with a 75cc kit to be 1090cc. Starts every time and runs like a champ!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brake Squeal and other Questions 13 Jul 2006 14:00 #61745

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Chain won't be slipping but could be slapping. If adjustment is loose could be hitting swingarm. Squealing front brakes when applied is common. Fixes include, sanding discs, cutting pads (not thru just to wear indicator) or brake late and hard (that is my fixit). Brakes can drag slightly. When was last time they were disassembled and cleaned or serviced.

Brake Squeal and other Questions 14 Jul 2006 11:22 #61967

• pamrhein
  • User
Thanks for the input. How much play should be in the chain?
The brakes were last service about a year ago when I got the bike but at that time the pads didn't need to be replaced. I will try to take a look at them this or next weekend.

Brake Squeal and other Questions 14 Jul 2006 18:02 #62039

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
You want about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" of play in the lower run checking between the two sprockets when the bike is on the centerstand.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Brake Squeal and other Questions 14 Jul 2006 18:24 #62046

• Bugg
  • User
you can try to pull the chain away from the rear sprocket, I think that if you can get it a links length away its too loose..according to clymers

Brake Squeal and other Questions 14 Jul 2006 18:26 #62048

• rdhussey
  • User
Pads are easy to replace - just make sure to give them a good splash of brake cleaner! Use a c-clamp t hold the caliper when ou take the old ones out :)

Brake Squeal and other Questions 18 Jul 2006 10:40 #62909

• pamrhein
  • User
Thanks everyone - I'll put this advice to work. Hopefully I'll get to work on the brakes next weekend.

Brake Squeal and other Questions 18 Jul 2006 11:16 #62919

• wireman
  • Visitor
nice looking bike,how about a bigger picture?:whistle:

• Page: