750 twin helmet lock ideas

More
10 Mar 2022 08:45 #863543 by Dan77kz750
750 twin helmet lock ideas was created by Dan77kz750
Does anyone have any good ideas for adding a way to lock my helmet to my kz750 b2? 

Long story short, my helmet was stolen off my bike during a 10min trip into the grocery store recently.

Seems like my bike had some kind of flimsy strap on the handlebars from the factory (that part gone, sticker still in place). 

Any ideas of what I can do to add a way to lock my helmet to the bike for short term stops?

I've seen cable locks and it's an options but not my favorite idea so far, another thing to carry with me and the underseat storage is getting full with some handtools and emergency supplies. 

Not opposed to welding if need be, although my frame is currently unaltered and every modification I've made is swappable back to original condition (have all the parts set aside) 

Appreciate any help and if the cable is the concensus I'll make it work. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2022 09:57 #863545 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic 750 twin helmet lock ideas
The 750e has one that bolts the the battery box mounting bolts. See item 20.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...cks-reflectors-80-kz

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

More
10 Mar 2022 13:45 #863551 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic 750 twin helmet lock ideas
Never leave your helmet on the bike, helmet locks are relatively easy to break, My son had his brand new helmet  stolen recently, it was on the helmet lock and they simply busted the lock, probably used a large screwdriver...

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
More
10 Mar 2022 17:42 #863559 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic 750 twin helmet lock ideas

Never leave your helmet on the bike, helmet locks are relatively easy to break, My son had his brand new helmet  stolen recently, it was on the helmet lock and they simply busted the lock, probably used a large screwdriver...

X2 about not leaving your helmet on the bike.  I had two of them stolen. Both of them was on helmet lock.

On was late 80's, maybe around 87 or so. Just like R1 said, they broke my lock and took my Arai Rapide helmet with custom color (made back in Japan. I had the shop made them for me. They had custom order system back then) that costed me around $600 USD at that time. Never saw it again and we didn't have that much motorcycles back then. Other was on my ZX-7, but this time, they cut the strap and took it. Same Arai Rapide and custom made back in Japan. Made the same one again and had a friend pick it up for me. I picked it up the following year when I went to Japan.

After that, I don't care if I'm going to dentist or date with my girlfriend. I always carried my helmet. I still have that helmet to this day.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    10 Mar 2022 21:51 #863566 by Elfarm98648
    Replied by Elfarm98648 on topic 750 twin helmet lock ideas
    Do be aware, the helmet “lock” above is not lockable at all. The red button is all it takes to unlock it and they’re walking away with it. Perhaps if you have a seat lock then you will fair better than me but just be warned, it has absolutely no locking ability 

More
    11 Mar 2022 00:03 #863572 by Dan77kz750
    Replied by Dan77kz750 on topic 750 twin helmet lock ideas
    Thanks everyone, it seems like my best choice will be the cable lock then. Around my area taking your helmet into some places just inst possible (concert venues have turned me away before calling it a potential weapon) I guess I'll take my chances and hope the small deterrent will stop most theives. 

More
    11 Mar 2022 00:21 - 11 Mar 2022 00:23 #863574 by Ian_B
    Replied by Ian_B on topic 750 twin helmet lock ideas
    Most built in helmet locks that I've seen are just a pin that goes through the D ring helmet strap. Any piece of pond slime with a knife can cut the nylon webbing strap and walk off with the helmet in seconds. Never mind the fact that the helmet is now virtually useless.

If it's a full face helmet, a cable lock through the face hole and around a frame member is a whole lot more secure. I also don't like clutter under the seat, but could you make a custom holder for a looped and locked cable lock for when it's not in use, tucked away somewhere? Inside of a side panel, against the battery box, that sort of thing? Maybe hold it in place with a few neodymium magnets - these might work on the cable or body, depending what they're made of.

When I saw the post title, I thought you wanted a lock for 2 helmets; the thought that it's for a 2 cylinder bike only came later...

Ian
    Last edit: 11 Mar 2022 00:23 by Ian_B.

More
    11 Mar 2022 04:01 #863577 by 750 R1
    Replied by 750 R1 on topic 750 twin helmet lock ideas

Thanks everyone, it seems like my best choice will be the cable lock then. Around my area taking your helmet into some places just inst possible (concert venues have turned me away before calling it a potential weapon) I guess I'll take my chances and hope the small deterrent will stop most theives. 
    In Australia you just check in your helmet in in venues, I've been doing it since the 1980's... I just won't leave it on the bike, some idiot will still try and get it, and maybe your bike..

More
    11 Mar 2022 05:25 - 11 Mar 2022 05:27 #863578 by martin_csr
    Replied by martin_csr on topic 750 twin helmet lock ideas
    Do be aware, the helmet “lock” above is not lockable at all. The red button is all it takes to unlock it 

Stock, the locked seat shields the red button. He would have to mount it similarly.

There are helmet locks available that clamp to the handlebars or frame. but as discussed the helmet is still vulnerable to theft.

Last edit: 11 Mar 2022 05:27 by martin_csr.

More
    11 Mar 2022 20:23 #863613 by Elfarm98648
    Replied by Elfarm98648 on topic 750 twin helmet lock ideas

Do be aware, the helmet “lock” above is not lockable at all. The red button is all it takes to unlock it 

Stock, the locked seat shields the red button. He would have to mount it similarly.

There are helmet locks available that clamp to the handlebars or frame. but as discussed the helmet is still vulnerable to theft.

ahh, my kz does not have the seat lock so my information was flawed from the beginning, my apologies. Maybe I should look into getting one of those. 

More
    12 Mar 2022 07:38 - 12 Mar 2022 07:41 #863626 by martin_csr
    Replied by martin_csr on topic 750 twin helmet lock ideas
    On the 650-CSR there should be a mounting point for the helmet lock forward of the seat lock. Other models are probably the same. His 750B won't have the welded mount, most likely.
    Last edit: 12 Mar 2022 07:41 by martin_csr.